Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first Budgie which is male and 14 weeks old.
He seems happy, but hes started to lose a small amount of feathers above his cere.
Also is cere looks really dry and flaky.

Please if anyone knows the reason for this please let me know <3 heres a picture at my best because hes not fully tamed yet :)

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
My guy, come on, he needs to be seen by a vet. I don't know how you didn't clock that something was really wrong, because his beak does not look like a healthy beak at all. It might be scaly face mites, but whatever it is, he needs to be seen by a vet because it looks like it has damaged his cere quite badly.

The longer you leave this, the higher the chance that your poor guy is gonna suffer permanent deformities that'll hamper his quality of life for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guy, come on, he needs to be seen by a vet. I don't know how you didn't clock that something was really wrong, because his beak does not look like a healthy beak at all. It might be scaly face mites, but whatever it is, he needs to be seen by a vet because it looks like it has damaged his cere quite badly.
i was away and my parents were popping in and cleaning the cage, and when i left it was fine! so please dont assume just help. and the vets are closed localy. So i need a peace of mind not looking down at me.

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
Something is very wrong and you need to have him seen by an avian vet, it does not quite look exactly like mites but in any case it is not right. Over what period of time did this happen, how long were you away?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something is very wrong and you need to have him seen by an avian vet, it does not quite look exactly like mites but in any case it is not right. Over what period of time did this happen, how long were you away?
i went on holiday for 4 days, and he has a small amount of dry cere, and i asked someone and sent a pic, and they assumed it was a seasonal thing. I come home 4 days later, and its gone this bad.
Problem is im struggling to get a vet to see him with the current state of the world in the uk, and i live in a small city in wales. Im trying my best on here to get info while im trying to find a vet to see him.

thank you for replying Cody :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is there anything they can do or put on it to at least relieved this birds suffering until they can find a vet? An ointment, spray, humidifier...anything? Of course that won't be a fix, just making the bird feel a little better until it can be seen. Regardless, I agree this bird needs a vet so they can test the skin and see what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there anything they can do or put on it to at least relieved this birds suffering until they can find a vet? An ointment, spray, humidifier...anything? Of course that won't be a fix, just making the bird feel a little better until it can be seen. Regardless, I agree this bird needs a vet so they can test the skin and see what it is.
my brother inlaw is bringing me mite spray in the morning, so if its mites then thats a good case seeing we can fix it. Im praying its nothing worse :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also he seems fine, he gets excited, hes loving the t.v being left on with budgies making happy noises, hes drinking and eating normal. he will go to your hand if you have millet spray

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
Don't use a mite spray, I don't think an infestation of scaly face mites would go from nothing to what you see now in 4 days and it looks a bit different. All the scaly face I have ever seen does not have a flakiness to it, it actually has more of a honeycomb appearance from the mites burrowing. At the bottom of this link there is some info about online vets maybe you can get one of them to view the picture of your bird. Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't use a mite spray, I don't think an infestation of scaly face mites would go from nothing to what you see now in 4 days and it looks a bit different. All the scaly face I have ever seen does not have a flakiness to it, it actually has more of a honeycomb appearance from the mites burrowing. At the bottom of this link there is some info about online vets maybe you can get one of them to view the picture of your bird. Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help
i just used the site, and the closest one is few miles away, but its not a vet anymore its a cake shop. So im assuming the site hasnt updated.

this just gets worse and worse. now im sad. Im take him to any vet i can find tomorrow <3
thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just used the site, and the closest one is few miles away, but its not a vet anymore its a cake shop. So im assuming the site hasnt updated.

this just gets worse and worse. now im sad. Im take him to any vet i can find tomorrow <3
thank you
Id ask if they have any experience with birds at all first. I don't have any advice, I'm just following along here if anyone knows what this is. I know any vet can test the skin scales, but who knows of they know what they'd be looking for of they aren't avian vets. Good luck and I'm glad you're trying your best.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
What is the status of your budgie at this time?
Did you get the bird to an Avian Vet or an exotic pet veterinarian?
That condition could not have developed in only four days time.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being.

Locating an Avian Vet

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory