1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:S:S:S
:budgie:
Hi all
Thanks so much in advance if you reply, I'm struggling a bit and think that it is completely unfair for my budgie to have a novice owner and potentially suffer because of it!
My little Reg is a gorgeous green male. I've had him almost 3 months now, however I do not know his age as I rescued him. He had an awful small cage so I've invested in a large one, filled it with the correct food/water/treats/toys etc. He is in good condition, has a few pin feathers but good feather health in general from what I've read. He is vocal but a little shy.
I must admit I am slightly scared of him. I find it quite stressful to let him out, however each time I gain confidence.
My main concern is perch training. Reg readily accepts treats when I feed them to him with my hand in the cage. He doesn't like my hand being in the cage normally and only sometimes likes my hand near the cage. Otherwise he tries to bite through the bars and honestly, it sometimes scares me or at least makes me jump. I try not to react as I don't want to scare him but it's hard.

Please someone tell me how to tame my bird. I really love him and feel inadequate as an owner at the moment. If you can think of anything I might be doing wrong please let me know. Also, if you have any tips/tricks/pointers as to how I might age him etc. tell me!!

Thank you so much!
Jess and Reg xx
:eng:

·
Administrator
55,336 Posts
Hi, and :welcome: Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Your budgie is simply trying to defend "his" territory when he tries to bite you through the cage bars. Budgies may bite to show dominance, to defend their territory or because they are frightened.
Take the time to read through the Taming and Bonding section of the forum for some good tips.

The very best advice anyone can offer is for you to read through all of the How To Guides, the FAQs and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
You'll find most of your basic questions are answered after you've read through all of them.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your budgie and hopefully seeing some pictures :photo: soon!!

Site Guidelines: http://talkbudgies.com/rules.php

How To Guides: http://talkbudgies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Frequently Asked Questions: http://talkbudgies.com/faq.php?

How to Post Pictures: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=175818

Examples of Pictures to Post: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=85948

Budgie Articles Forum: http://talkbudgies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

List of Stickies: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=71657

Helpful Resources: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=79815

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

:wave:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Remember that some mutations (such as recessive pied) will never develop the iris ring so this is not always the most reliable method. if you need help with the mutation, feel free to post some pictures in this or a new thread- people here are excellent at determining mutation and may be able to help with the age.
as for training your bird, a lot of it going to be you getting over your fear of being bitten, you have to accept that it is rather inevitable that it will happen, and not making a big deal about it is the most important thing, and really, it dosent hurt. you will most likely get a gentle warning nip before a full on bite. my two parkaeets have never once broken the skin although sometimes I annoy them enough that they seem to want to. once you get him finger tamed you may want to try the gentle beak technique which will help to stop him from biting when he gets fiesty.
now to finger taming, once you are over the mental block of being bitten, which may take awhile, the bird can sense your fear and anxiety and this is not a conductive setting for training and building trust. begin by sitting and doing quiet activities near the cage about 3 times a day for 20 mins each time, talking or singing is also good too. when he is comfortable with you, move to leaving your hand on various parts of the cage, yes he may come try to nibble you, but once he realizes your hand will not hurt him, he should ignore it. make sure to reward him with millet or other treats when he behaves well! do this 3 times a day for 20 mins too. next, you can move to having your hand in the cage, the goal is to get him to realize your hand is harmless and may hold yummy treats! what may be best for you is to get a small wooden dowel. load your hand up with treats, place it near him,and put the dowel right under his belly. make it so he must step up on the dowel to reach the food In your hand, and while he steps up, repeat "step up." note that many birds use their beaks to test the stability of an object they are stepping onto, so if he seems to bite the dowel before stepping up, it's not aggressive. once he responds to step up on the dowel, move to using your finger (he may beak gently, but it will not hurt and do not pull away, this will frighten and discourage him.) reward him plenty of treats and eventually you can move him around the cage while in your finger and take him out. step up is a very important command and you must get him to respond to it before you take him out or getting him back to his cage may be a mightmare!
I hope I was able to answer some of your questions and be of some help! best of luck, and maybe we can see some pictures of your little boy?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :) You will find all you need to know on budgie care here.

Before really starting to train your budgie, you must first work on overcoming your fear. Budgies, like many other pets can pick your anxiety and apprehension and be nervous and apprehensive as a consequence and that will make the taming process more difficult. You must first be totally at ease with your budgie and to trust in him first in order to let him gain the trust in you. ;)

I'm wishing you the best of luck with Reg!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much everyone! I wasn't expecting such great responses, thanks so much for the advice and help. I'll post some pics soon!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi and welcome, you have come to the right place there are many experts here everyone is so kind and helpful. Good luck with Reg I'm sure before long you will be feeling a lot more confident with him, I know he will bring you a lot of joy :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Spend a lot of time just talking to you bird it will get to know and trust you put on a pair gloves put both hands in the cage if you can put a hand on each side of the bird an cup the bird bring it out of the cage just let the bird craw from one hand to the other while holding it, it will soon be setting on your finger get a net for if the bird fly's you can catch it once you get it use to you it will be easy to get back in the cage I have 19 budgies when in the house they are out of the cage most of the time when I want them in the cage all I do is put a stick in back of them an they fly in to the cage.

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
Hi there and welcome! Talk Budgies is a great place with lovely people to help you with your questions. I just wanted to chime in on being scared of bird bites. I used to work at a pet shop as a teenager and had a good chunk of skin taken out by a nasty macaw, so I was a little nervous about what a budgie bite would feel like. It actually doesn't hurt that much, and whenever my Sammy has tried to bite me, I just leave my finger still. That way, he learns that if he tries to bite me, he won't gain anything from it. If you pull away or make a sound, you'll be showing him that he gets what he wants by biting.

Don't worry, it doesn't hurt that much, and you will see how your taming goes really well after you are both more comfortable with each other! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone- we're making good (but slow) progress together. :D:D
Reg now doesn't react 9/10 times I put my hands on the cage and will eat millet when my hands are in the cage. I've tried offering him handfuls of seed/fruity treats etc but he rarely eats it and enjoys nibbling my fingers more. You're right, it doesn't hurt! However I'm not sure whether he's biting as a threat/out of fear or because he doesn't realise I'm holding treats? Any clues? The bites aren't hard mostly just nibbling with his tongue flickering about as if trying to eat but I'm not sure.
:budgie:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to hear you are making progress! You said nibbling...is he actually full-on biting, or does it seem more like he's just beaking? Younger birds are prone to grab things in their beaks a lot just as an exploratory thing. Or maybe he is testing you, trying to see if you will react to his biting after all? If he will eat from your hand and doesn't show other signs of fear (like fleeing from your hand) then he probably isn't biting out of fear. It's possible he doesn't realize what you're offering is food, if the treats are ones he hasn't eaten before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I suggest taming by gradually (think weeks) luring Reg onto your hand with millet. This will help build a bond and make him like you. If he doesn't like you right now, I suggest taking out any millet sprays that may be in the cage and only giving him millet if you're there or your hand is in/near the cage. Hope it helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.