Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow bird lovers. So recently I had a parakeet pass away and now it seems another one isn’t doing to well either. His eye looks infected, it’s a brownish color around it, he’s sleeping so much during the day, isn’t playing with the others, and sitting at the bottom of the cage. I’m not sure what to do but I can tell he isn’t okay at all and I’m worried. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
By the time a bird is sitting at the bottom of the cage it is usually quite ill, the bird should be seen immediately by an avian vet, do you have a vet that you normally see?

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.

You should ALWAYS call your Avian Vet right away when you suspect there is an illness or injury.

If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Please let us know how your budgie is doing after your visit to the vet. Wishing him all the best.

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Good advice was given, to get your bird to an avian vet.. Please let us know if you have, and how your budgie is doing. Good luck.

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
I'm sorry your budgie didn't make it.

It is critical to get budgies medical assistance at the very first sign of injury or illness.
If you have any additional birds, please ensure you are following best practices with them and have them examined by an Avian Vet to determine if there are issues that need to be addressed.

Best wishes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.