Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

Here are the two proud parents that are currently raising two chicks. I have not given them a name; I always call them Budgie whenever I talk to them :)

Male - Proud father, very much in love with his wifey and can't stay away from her more than a very short while.

Female - Proud mother, very much in love with her husband and has to push him away at times because he is always courting her. Her flight wings are a bit dirty from staying in the nest box, otherwise she's all the time cleaning herself, but lately she's been very busy with the two (now growing fast) chicks.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me identify what the formal description of the colour / mutation etc of these two budgies is. I have never really sat down to learn the variations and cannot tell myself.

Reactions: frenchie

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Dear all

Here are the two proud parents that are currently raising two chicks. I have not given them a name; I always call them Budgie whenever I talk to them :)

Male - Proud father, very much in love with his wifey and can't stay away from her more than a very short while.

Female - Proud mother, very much in love with her husband and has to push him away at times because he is always courting her. Her flight wings are a bit dirty from staying in the nest box, otherwise she's all the time cleaning herself, but lately she's been very busy with the two (now growing fast) chicks.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me identify what the formal description of the colour / mutation etc of these two budgies is. I have never really sat down to learn the variations and cannot tell myself.
Can we see the babies?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi frenchie

Yes of course. I have posted pics of the chicks on the following thread:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=87494&page=3

The name of the thread is 'Information needed on breeding pair' and it is listed under the Budgie Breeding section of the forum.

I chose to post the pics of the mom and dad here because I wish to know the colour mutations of the pair so as to keep everything in the proper section.

Do you have any idea what the mutations are for this pair?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks FaeryBee. I did not know where to open the thread so am glad that it will be placed in the right section. Am really eager to find out what the colour mutations are :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hi frenchie

Yes of course. I have posted pics of the chicks on the following thread:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=87494&page=3

The name of the thread is 'Information needed on breeding pair' and it is listed under the Budgie Breeding section of the forum.

I chose to post the pics of the mom and dad here because I wish to know the colour mutations of the pair so as to keep everything in the proper section.

Do you have any idea what the mutations are for this pair?

Well the mom and dad are just adorable and beautiful and the babies have a real aaawwwww factor. Very very cutsie. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you so much all :) The story of mama hen is somewhat dear to my heart. She's not only beautiful but she was a gem in the rough. She was bought at a local open-air market which is renowned for the not so nice treatment of animals. I mean, budgies are unfortunately kept in a small cage, ten to fifteen budgies at a time each. I happened to be working with somebody whose child had bought this female as a pet however left it alone in a cage in the basement. Her mum was annoyed and asked me if I wanted to adopt. I jumped at the opportunity and took her in lovingly. Her feathers were all grey from dirt and she was not looking very healthy at that time. But after some tlc she came back in all her brightness.

I've never seen a female like her either sold in shops in Malta. They are almost all the normal green / blue mutations (which are still very nice and beautiful) but this one is a very white lady with very nice light blue shading.

Few months after she settled in I went to buy her a partner from a much safer pet shop (and of course, in him, another pet friend for myself). When I introduced the male in her cage it took her a matter of seconds to be relieved from the shock of an intrusion. By night time they were huddling together, eyes half open winking and comfortably making sounds with their beaks. It was I think love at first sight. They never left each other's side since then.

I'll post more pictures as soon as they will behave and let me get a clearer shot of each. Unfortunately these budgies have neither been handled nor much loved when they were young so they tend to be annoyed with gadgetry (unlike myself). However, I am making sure that their chicks get all the love that is due so that they can have out-of-cage time everyday when they grow bigger.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am adding another two pictures - the first is to ease the identification of the mutations on the male since the female's back is clearly visible and the second was just too cute not to post :)

This is the best possible shot I could get so far because he won't let me get above him or behind him with the camera.

Male budgie hiding in nest because of the camera.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since this pair are currently raising two chicks, and since the chicks have now developed more colouring on their feathers, I am posting some pictures of the chicks as well on here which could help with the identification of their colours / mutations. Would greatly appreciate if anyone who knows how to identify them helps in telling me what mutations they are - both the adult pair and if it is possible at this stage, some predictions on the little ones.

This is the first hatched, today at 18 days. He is becoming feisty and while handling him today lightly nipped at my fingers. Was apparently a little bit cross at me but I guess that will settle down as they get used to it. Strong green and yellow colours have appeared.

This is the first time I'm posting a photo of Chick No 2 - it is today 15 days old. Colours are very much different than the first chick. Seems like it has strong grey/dark blue tones. Am very curious how the colours will turn out.

Chick No 2 - Close up shot of new feathers and colouration.

Am incredibly curious to learn the mutations of both the parents and the chicks. Anyone? :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The **** is an opaline greywing light green - he's very beautiful

The hen is opaline greywing sky blue. (She may also have a grey factor)

The chicks will also be opaline greywing. The second one looks like it might be blue series

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much nev :) Appreciate greatly your help. Am glad to know what they are formally called now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear all

Now that the chicks are more than two weeks old, they have fully developed an entire coat of beautiful feathers and are looking more gorgeous than ever. I though of sharing a few photos that were taken today while handling them.

Chick 1 - 3 weeks 5 days old. This is the oldest chick of the two. It is not yet as comfortable with handling, being generally afraid and tends to stick in one position clinging tightly with its claws on my fingers. I always try to gently talk to them so that they get used to my voice.

Chick 1

Chick 2 - 3 weeks 2 days old. The youngest chick of the two; seems to be generally more comfortable with handling despite being the youngest. Tends to move around in my hand or just sit there almost falling asleep. Never seen such a mutation - looks almost grey / white with a hint of blue on its back on close inspection.

Chick 2 - Very cute face.

Is there any possibility of detecting whether male or female, or is it still too early to tell?

Would enjoy reading any comments and a confirmation of the previously given mutations.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh and I believe the second chick is a girl! But it might still be to early to tell. The first chick I'm not to sure about. ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Iris :) Really happy with the outcome, not just for me, but for the parents as well. They did a very very good job!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks budgiegirl101 and icecream :)

More news from budgie-front !

The oldest chick has made it out of the nest box safely. Yesterday, the morning progressed with the chick at the bottom of the cage in a corner (a bit afraid of the new surroundings) and then it started using the safe-space bowl. Budgie dad is still feeding him. The 2nd chick has made it half way through but then Budgie Mom went in to feed him and his effort was suspended. I'm hoping that it goes out from the nestbox soon to join the other chick.

The oldest chick has yesterday evening perched for the first time for a few seconds after several attempts of batting wings, reaching perch and falling off (not a high perch so no worries there). It was a joy to see this young one exploring how his wings work!!!

Mom and Dad seemed very excited about it too.

Here are photos from today.

Chick 1 - 30 days - Afraid and mortified when it comes to handling and I just can't understand why. There were no traumas or accidents whatsoever in my handling so its character seems to be a bit reserved and shy.

Chick 2 - 27 days - Much less afraid than chick 1 when it comes to handling. Steps on my hand on its own.

Parents - Having a bit of down time since chicks are now fending a little bit for themselves.

The Setup - I know it's not a big setup - at least it's not as big as I'd wish it to be however I can't afford to buy a new bigger cage just now. Unfortunately that will have to wait for a bit. Still, they are very happy in this cage and it is much bigger than the ones they were kept in at the pet shop and previous owner (in the case of the female).

Would love to learn how I can make sure that the budgies are going to learn to it by themselves. I've put two small shallow containers, one with water and one with seed at the bottom of the cage for the chick that is out of the nest box but up to now I don't think he has used them. Parents still feeding them though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.