Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this little guy at a pet shop about 2 weeks ago (or so), and i'm still not sure on his mutation. I've asked before, but since then his colour has changed very slightly.

He has red eyes, a mauve-ish cere, mostly white, with tints of grey on his tummy and darker grey on his back. It might just be my eyes, but it almost seems like the grey on his belly has darkened slightly since i got him home and also his cheek patches are slightly purple?

Also, what's the best way to tell his age? I've heard that some budgies ceres don't go blue, and i'm not sure about his eyes?? Please help, what do you think?? (sorry for bad pic quality, the flash made his eye clearer to see though).

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I've probably said this before.

He doesn't look like a fallow but as he has red eyes fallow seems to be the only option. There are three different types of fallows: German, English & Scottish. You could try emailing this website with your question http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/

I haven't had much experience with fallows and I don't think any of our other members have had much to do with them either

Coloured cheek patches prove he is not albino and the shade of the cheek patches is not right for a lacewing

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
On the one site listed above it did say fallows are only found in English Budgies, but that could be outdated too.
no, as nev said there are a few types of fallow found in different places around the world... i have had fallows in the past and they were pet type budgies.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
no, as nev said there are a few types of fallow found in different places around the world... i have had fallows in the past and they were pet type budgies.
Ok so it is outdated :p

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I emailed a fellow named barrie, from the website Nev provided, and i'm delighted with his reply!

Ifan Albino that has had clearwing introduced into the line at sometime it will show suffussion and blue cheek patches.

I believe you have an Albino that is masking doublle factor spangle

Blue series birds such as your albino can mask grey,sky,cobalt and mauve.

I now rest my case said the judge ........... albino masking df spangle white
Albino Masking Double Factor Spangle White...woo that's a mouthful! haha, thankyou Nev! and thanks Barrie!

·
3,676 Posts
I thought Barrie would give you a good answer he breeds a lot of inos. It would be interesting to find out if he is right. Are you planning to breed from this bird?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I thought Barrie would give you a good answer he breeds a lot of inos. It would be interesting to find out if he is right. Are you planning to breed from this bird?
lol I was puzzled by his answer and thought it strange and I'm still very new to this. Seems I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love too, but i'm not sure of his age :( And wouldn't have a clue what Hen to mate him with, i've just found a woman that breeds budgies and cockatiels, and she has some pretty nice budgies she will sell me for $10 each...might try and haggle if i can get more lol. They'd be young though...

Might search around and see if i can find some older hens, what mutation do you recommend i breed him with?

How long did it take you to learn about mutations and breeding?? It seems like a daunting task! But i'm going to persevere til i get it!

·
3,676 Posts
I would love too, but i'm not sure of his age :( And wouldn't have a clue what Hen to mate him with, i've just found a woman that breeds budgies and cockatiels, and she has some pretty nice budgies she will sell me for $10 each...might try and haggle if i can get more lol. They'd be young though...

Might search around and see if i can find some older hens, what mutation do you recommend i breed him with?

How long did it take you to learn about mutations and breeding?? It seems like a daunting task! But i'm going to persevere til i get it!
I would mate him to a normal blue or a dilute blue hen. If the female chicks are all albino and the male chicks are all spangle it would prove Barrie's opinion. If you got any other mutation of either sex we'd have to think again about his mutation

Learning about mutations is something I grew up with so it's come easy for me. The way some people explain things often make even simple inheritance rules appear complicated. The basic rules of genetic inheritance are the same for plants and animals. The hardest part is recognizing the different mutations when they appear

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would mate him to a normal blue or a dilute blue hen. If the female chicks are all albino and the male chicks are all spangle it would prove Barrie's opinion. If you got any other mutation of either sex we'd have to think again about his mutation

Learning about mutations is something I grew up with so it's come easy for me. The way some people explain things often make even simple inheritance rules appear complicated. The basic rules of genetic inheritance are the same for plants and animals. The hardest part is recognizing the different mutations when they appear
Is albino a dominant mutation? I imagined all the chicks would inherit the colour? Woah, it's getting more confusing haha...Ok, i'll get to searching for a mature blue Hen. How old do you think he is? Can you tell from photos? I asked barrie but his reply to the email didn't contain an answer to the age question.

What age is suitable for breeding? I think i read somewhere 18months...but just to confirm.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
albino is sex linked recessive... if the **** is albino then he will breed albino daughters with a non albino hen. that would help identifying his variety.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
12 months to 3 yrs, but some say 18 mo. - 3 yrs.
thanks teash :) HOW OLD IS HE ahaha. :'(

albino is sex linked recessive... if the **** is albino then he will breed albino daughters with a non albino hen. that would help identifying his variety.
thankyou :) interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.