Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He has a pied spot on the back of his head, but no clear band of any sort.

I don't fully understand what clearflight pied actually is; it makes the flight feathers yellow or white depending on the base color? Can a clearflight pied have clear patches on the stomach and/or as well?

I've already identified him as yellowface grey spangle...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry... I forgot to attach the picture. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
You have the mutation right :)

The white patch at the back of the head means that he is split (carrying the gene) for recessive pied. It is not visible on him because it is recessive to normal.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, interesting. :)

Also, does the fact that his back is paler than his chest mean anything? Or is that just a part of the above mutations?

His back is a whitish/pale grey, whereas his stomach is that darker color.

I don't have a clear picture of it, so I can't show what I mean exactly. :p

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I cannot see the white patch on the back of his head, but he is a grey yellow face spangle :) spangles have white primary flight feathers with a slight black edge, this does not make them pied though. They also have white tail feathers with a slight black edge :) Spangles also have lighter head and neck barring, again this is just common with the spangle mutation and means nothing more.

Can you post more pictures of him from behind with clear pictures of his head and wings to show what you are talking about if he has a pied spot? :) as Zeena mentioned this can sometimes mean they are split for recessive pied but it is not always the case. Clear flight pieds can have some pied markings on their chest and throat area, and some dominant pieds can have no banding at all. Sometimes breeding is the only way to help know for sure what they really are when they do not have the ideal pied markings :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.