Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a normal light green parakeet and I got him from petco a year and a half ago
he and his mate (sky blue dominant pied) have laid their first set of 4 eggs and only 1 is infertile!

But ive been wondering if hes split for any thing because a lot of people say there arent to many pure breeds

Is there a way you could find out if hes split for something?
Maybe his apperance or asking the pet store ( he has a gold ring:D)
or some kind of test?

please awnser ......

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
I mean if his parents were blue or something
and then his offspring could be blue :D
Oh okay. Genetics in birds can be very complicated not knowing the entire family line. Some babies end up being a real surprise when they're a completely different color than the parents.
So my less than educated guess would be that you can't be sure about what the babies will look like. But that's just an opinion.

I leave it all up to the experts here.
Good luck with the egg. I hope it all goes well. :)

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
He could be split for blue, but obviously that is not certain, you would have to know his entire family tree or at least his parents. He could also be carrying other genes such as ino.
If he has a plain patch of feathers on the back of his head, it means he is split for recessive pied.
Those are the only ones i could think of out of the top of my head. I'm sure someone more experienced will come along and help :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Split means carrying hidden genes. In most cases the hidden genes can only be discovered by breeding unless you know your bird's ancestry. A gene can be passed down through many generations and only appear when the bird is paired with a mate that is carrying the same gene. Most budgies are split for something. If the ring on your bird is a budgerigar club ring it would be possible to find the breeder and ask what mutations your bird could be carrying

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
when the chicks hatch you'll know what they are split for
but you may not know what the individual is split for but you will know what they are carring as a pair..if that make sence?
I tried to track down Kestreland Phoenix's breeders. I know whio they are just cant get hold of them.
i found their breeders from the budgerigar society

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.