Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I'm asking this is because it's a trend in Pepe. Besides her seeds/pellets mix, I've been giving her all kinds of vegetables and fruits.

Apples - she'll eat very little, then bite and fling the rest off her beak.
Romaine Lettuce - This one she would eat but I am aware that it does not have much nutrients.
Bok Choy - This is more consistent. She will eat more of it, but she also enjoys shredding the leaves.
Corn on the cob - This she loves to eat, but she also enjoys digging out the center of the cob.
Broccoli - This is my concern, she has been tearing the vegetable apart for the fun of it and I'm not sure if she's eating.

Is it because I'm giving her too much food?

The second part to this post is asking how I should transit Pepe to a salad of sorts. She is alright with eating vegetables but she has a problem with anything that is red (it frightens her) and orange (she avoids it). I've tried chop eggs today, and it seems that she likes eggs too, so how often should I give her eggs?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read a study that tried to understand why psittacines are such messy eaters, and it basically came to the conclusion that it's just how parrots are, and there might be some evolutionary reason to it as them being messy eaters and flinging food all about the place helps propagate the next generation of plants / fruits / whatever, because they toss it far away and it falls on the floor and will germinate. Which could be helpful as it ensures they have a good food supply.

So yeah, they just enjoy playing with their food, tossing it around, and generally being messy eaters. Mine love to get mash all on their beaks and then smear it around the cage, makes for a fun cleanup session :cautious:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read a study that tried to understand why psittacines are such messy eaters, and it basically came to the conclusion that it's just how parrots are, and there might be some evolutionary reason to it as them being messy eaters and flinging food all about the place helps propagate the next generation of plants / fruits / whatever, because they toss it far away and it falls on the floor and will germinate. Which could be helpful as it ensures they have a good food supply.

So yeah, they just enjoy playing with their food, tossing it around, and generally being messy eaters. Mine love to get mash all on their beaks and then smear it around the cage, makes for a fun cleanup session :cautious:
HAHAHAHAHA it's the same for Pepe, I've noticed if she really likes something she'll get it all over her beak, then it's smearing on perches time...

Well at least now I know it's normal 😅 I won't be so worried about the amount of broccoli at the bottom at the cage.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Budgies should only get egg about once a week unless they are molting.
When they are molting, the amount of protein (number of times per week you give eggs) can be increased as the energy is needed for producing new feathers.

If a budgie's diet is too high in proteins, it can cause increased sex drive, kidney and liver problems, dehydration and has been linked to some cancers.

Most budgies like to play with their food.

Check out the stickies at the top of the Diet and Nutrition section of the forum for tips on how to introduce vegetables to Pepe.

High protein foods include:
Egg
mung beans
legumes
peas
corn
spinach
broccoli
kale
millet
quinoa
oat groats
flax seed
chia seed
hemp seed

Low protein vegetable and fruit choices include:
carrots (and carrot tops)
chilis
sweet peppers
celery
parsley
basil
thyme
rosemary
cilantro
chickweed

Fruits should be given sparingly as they are high in sugar content.
apples
grapes
oranges

Providing a variety of good foods for your budgie is most important.
All the vegetables listed as "high protein" vegetables are just fine in moderation

Safe Foods for Budgies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.