Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are Shiloh & Bella's Babies - Shiloh is Clear Flight pied, But Bella doesn't look to be any pied what so ever

Shiloh is Cobalt Opaline Clear Flight pied
Bella is Violet Opaline Grey Wing

parents:

A couple more of Bella

Bella is on the back wall

she's on the right in the next 2 pictures

The Babies:
Baby 1(being Hand Fed)

Baby 2 (being hand fed)

Baby 3

Baby 4

Baby 5

Baby 6( I know you won't be able to tell with him/her But I wasn't gonna leave em' out lol)

the Youngest 4 in the nest box After I cleaned it for them

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You I think Baby 2 is also a Grey wing but Can't tell for sure yet. I was hoping Their dad was NOT split to grey wing

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Oh my gosh how beautiful those little creatures are. :) Baby 1 and 2 look a little pied to me. I guess you'll be able to tell more in a week or so. Would there be a pied gene maybe somewhere in their ancestry? (or whatever you call it :p)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my gosh how beautiful those little creatures are. :) Baby 1 and 2 look a little pied to me. I guess you'll be able to tell more in a week or so. Would there be a pied gene maybe somewhere in their ancestry? (or whatever you call it :p)
Thanks

the only pied they can be split to is Recessive pied - and they're not looking recessive pied, They all look clear flight pied(which is Dominant and they can't be split to it they either are clear flight pied or they're not :) ) . But I asked Before and If only 1 parent was clear flight pied I was told I would not get 100% clear flight pied but its looking like i am They all look pied except the youngest I can't tell on him yet lol. But there mom doesn't look pied at all. Her flights are not clear, She has no Thumb print on the back of her head and she has no clear areas on the front of her body.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Kelli it looks like the genetic and mutations book is constantly being re-written. :) I see clear flights now on the baby but do the colors change as they mature?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kelli it looks like the genetic and mutations book is constantly being re-written. :) I see clear flights now on the baby but do the colors change as they mature?
Their body colors usually get deeper after they molt, but since all of them are Opaline it won't change too much like a budgie who was the same color as they are/going to be only who isn't Opaline. Or so I've been told that Opaline lightens their body color like cinnamon does and Grey wing does only not as much, but from my understanding it's enough that when they're grown up and fully feathered it's noticeable

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Its always a genetic gamble with one parent being a single factor :) When you look at hundreds of chicks yes it ends up being about 50 50, but individual clutches can easily have all one or all another since its random which chicks get the genes :)

I have had so many clutches too with pieds, yellowfaces, grey and violet etc that ended up being all or nothing and it makes you do a double take for a minute :giggle:

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I bred a beautiful Normal Green male to a Dominant Pied Hen. First round I got all females, all dominant pied and all Cinnamon Opaline. Male was obviously carrying both cinnamon and opaline.

With a dominant gene they usually average out at 50% pied and 50% normal over the breeding life of the birds. So it is not unusual to get all pied in one clutch and in another clutch none pied.

They are really cute babies.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys So I can stop stressing and thinking Belle is Pied and I just can't see it :giggle:

I just got done feeding baby 1 & 2 - They took straight to the spoon :D I love when they do that

after I fed them I was looking at them under my lamp (my house lightening stinks during the day and is even worse once it gets dark out side) I still think #2 is Grey wing She's the only one who looks Greyish and all washed out - well so far anyway.. But my intent was to view their ceres better and try to get better at judging genders at this young of an age and I was looking at her belly and seeing the colors coming in - she is looking Grey but I know better ;) I looked to see if her cheek patches showed yet- they're navy blue So I think she's Mauve - Which means Both Parents are Cobalt So if she is that answers what Blue Bella is other than Violet LOL that darn grey wing gene screws up the body colors so much.

but My guesses for Baby 1 and 2 is baby 1 is male and baby 2 is Female- I figured If i don't start guessing when they're young I'm never gonna learn how to tell their gender when they're still lil' babies :D

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Kelli, you forgot to warn us about Cuteness Overload! :eek: :D

IHMO, Baby #1 looks pied (due to clear tail feathers) and #2 looks grey wing (due to grey tail feather). Then again, as you know, I'm not a mutations expert. :p

Since both parents are opaline, I'm sure you know all the chicks are opaline. http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kelli, you forgot to warn us about Cuteness Overload! :eek: :D

IHMO, Baby #1 looks pied (due to clear tail feathers) and #2 looks grey wing (due to grey tail feather). Then again, as you know, I'm not a mutations expert. :p

Since both parents are opaline, I'm sure you know all the chicks are opaline. http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html
:giggle: Ya I forgot to add the warning :)

yep I know they're all Opaline, mentioned it a few times ;)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I agree 2 is greywing. Looks a ton like my babies out of my hen Purl (who looks just like your Bella). They were not pied in any form. Hard to tell in the pic (for me) on #2 if it's pied or not. My greywings were so lightly marked when they were bord that lots of their feathers looked plain old white. Very cute babies! Congrats! Can't wait to see the colors so we know if Bella is cobalt or sky. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree 2 is greywing. Looks a ton like my babies out of my hen Purl (who looks just like your Bella). They were not pied in any form. Hard to tell in the pic (for me) on #2 if it's pied or not. My greywings were so lightly marked when they were bord that lots of their feathers looked plain old white. Very cute babies! Congrats! Can't wait to see the colors so we know if Bella is cobalt or sky. :)
Thanks ended up with at least 1 more grey wing :rolleyes: and they're all looking pied even the youngest I can see the dark Spots on his wings already for being pied. wasn't expecting them all to be clear Flight pied since it's just dad but That seems to be how its going :)

I took some more pics today and posted them under "The Babies" the only 2 that aren't on there yet are the 2 I'm hand feeding (Number 1 and 2) I just got some pics of them tonight and have to post them still.

but when baby 2 started getting feathers in they looked mauve , now that she's growing up more and getting the Opaline & Grey wing showing more she's looking more Light violet Kind of like her mom but a few shades Lighter So I am hoping one of the non grey wings will let me know what Color Bella really is :giggle:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.