Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Be free......
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been having a hard time finding a violet budgie.some of the sites suggest that i already have a purple budgie.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Violet is very difficult to show on camera. The easiest way to show violet is by standing blue birds next to eachother. I have a quite a few violets, and i even have a chick that has hatched violet from two parents that i didnt know had violet in them. This is their first violet chick out of 11 chicks they've had.

·
Be free......
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Violet is very difficult to show on camera. The easiest way to show violet is by standing blue birds next to eachother. I have a quite a few violets, and i even have a chick that has hatched violet from two parents that i didnt know had violet in them. This is their first violet chick out of 11 chicks they've had.
wow really.:eek:.could you show me a picture of one of your violets.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think your bird is single factor violet over sky blue. The really deep purple coloured ones are double factor violet over cobalt. If it was bred with a budgie that was darker shade of blue (either mauve or cobalt) that also had a violet factor you would get some deep purple coloured chicks

·
Registered
22 Posts
My little guy is three weeks old and looks like he is shaping up to be violet. Mum is violet cinnamon so appears as a shade of lavender. The dad is a nomal green so the bub is coming up darker. The first pic is a bit blurry as getting him to stay still is a challenge.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I always thought violet was sex linked? Am I wrong? Here is my violet cinnamon female Royalty, her mate Willow and some of their babies. How can I breed violet chicks? are these chicks violet?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ok so do the first two babies have a violet factor? If violet is dominant why isn't the third baby violet?
Dominant doesnt mean all the babies will get it, it just means all babies that do get it will SHOW it. The pics arent all that clear, but i would be more inclined to say that the chicks are mauve (2x dark factors), not violet. Although from the pics, it might be that the second chick is a violet mauve, which would be a very obvious dark purple colour. Mauve itself tends to appear very greyish purplish blue, so you might mistakingly think a mauve bird is a violet.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Ok so do the first two babies have a violet factor? If violet is dominant why isn't the third baby violet?
A dominant mutation would be expected to show on about 50% of the chicks. The others would not have the gene at all. Your chicks look mauve to me too, but violet is always hard to see in photos

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is what i think is my violet budgie called Baby she was hatched on 11 feb 2009 :budgie: am i right please let me know

Cheers Taz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.