Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in the birds room doing some moving around of the birds and some vent trimming of the English Budgies(it's not harmful for those who don't know - It's done for the English budgies because their feathers are so long and they have so many it helps keep the poop from building up on their long feathers and helps them to breed with a better out come)

Anyway I took out my Albino (who I thought was a girl, then thought was a boy LOL) and I guess I turned just the right way into the light coming through the big windows by their cage because all I saw were brown head markings and wing markings

I never noticed this before - but Like I've said many times I can't see very well in my birds room We use the Spiral lights for in there and I just can't with those types of lights

well I spent a good hour trying to get pics and none were coming out (I've sent a message to my b/f's niece who has a really good DSLR camera to see if when she gets time if she can come get some pics for me see if her's works better than both of my cameras because in an hours time and 2 camera's I couldn't get a good picture - but not sure when she'll be able to she works a lot )

I looked through their babies pics and I don't notice it in them either BUT I'm 1000% sure I saw it today it was plain as day!

out of all my pics only 2 are half way decent I can't see the brown markings on the wings in them but in the one pic I can see head bars

She was born November 09 (oh and yes I also noticed she has big white Rings around her nostrils and to double check we did our nut and string method and she is a girl according to the nostrils and the nut/string )

but is it just my bad eye sight and she's always had the brown showing through or is it possible they get it later in life Other things she has a chance of masking (and most likely is) are Spangle and Opaline and Grey and Blue LOL of course so I'm sure that's not helping matters any lol

Her dad is no longer alive so I can't put her parents back together and try again

her dad is Shadow - Grey Spangle Split for Opaline and From the looks of this Girl Cinnamon as well.

her mom is Ariel - Albino Masking Opaline - I don't know what else she's masking or split to if anything as she's only successfully bred with Shadow no one else

I'll attach the 2 half way decent pics I got even though they're not really showing the brown at all

they only had 3 babies This one, one other albino (i sold that one) and the Grey Spangle Opaline Male I kept

Maybe not all lacewings show the brown as dark/deep or well as others????

but it is really ticking me off with 2 different cameras and Multiple different settings I can't get a good pic of her to save my life, I've used flash, No flash, indoor, portrait, Sport( she won't hold still) Landscape even used Macro and a ton of others

Cameras used were
Canon Power Shot S5Is -8MP
Nikon Cool Pix S3000-12 MP

in a fully lit room at around 2 in the afternoon with tons of light coming through the windows I really shouldn't of had any problems getting pics other than for her moving and all the toys and stuff in the cage being in the way

Attachments

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Lacewings tend to get darker markings with each moult, however they still have brown markings when they feather up. I can't see any markings that you are talking about onthose pictures, she would as a Lacewing have cinnamon spots and the two main tail feathers would be cinnamon as well as the cinnamon markings.

She may just be a marked albino but again I am not seeing any markings.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see faint markings on her head and neck... is that normal in an albino?
nope none of my others have it

I do have a young Creamino (yf 2 albino) that has the Grey wing bleeding through but even that isn't "normal"

i have had many Albinos and never seen markings or colors on any of them other then the tinge of blue you see when the light hits just right of the flash hits just right

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
nope none of my others have it

I do have a young Creamino (yf 2 albino) that has the Grey wing bleeding through but even that isn't "normal"

i have had many Albinos and never seen markings or colors on any of them other then the tinge of blue you see when the light hits just right of the flash hits just right
I have had albinos with faint 'markings' before but they could not have been Lacewings.

Can you get some pictures of the head and tail feathers.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Albinos & lutinos can show faint markings that are not lacewing

Lacewings are often very faintly marked as babies and their marking show up better after their first moult. Here are a couple of mine as babies on the left and as adults on the right

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you
mine is maybe a shade lighter than your adults (the top right one) I can see it plain as day in person(well when the lighting is good that is) just can't get it to show up in the pictures

I was just looking up info on cheek patch colors and came across this
The only exception to the above rule is the lacewing budgie. In their case the cinnamon and ino genes are present on the same chromosome and for some reason light cinnamon markings and pale violet cheek patches are visible
her cheek patches are violet - my albinos and lutinos have white cheek patches

I took some more pics last night I'll see if anything comes out I'm pretty sure the cheek patches did

Albinos & lutinos can show faint markings that are not lacewing

Lacewings are often very faintly marked as babies and their marking show up better after their first moult. Here are a couple of mine as babies on the left and as adults on the right

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the best picture I got of her Cheek patches

I was reading some where the the suffusion they often show in certain light can also tell you if they're a Lace wing or have the violet factor etc. But now i can't remember how that went

Attachments

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She just looks like a albino with some faint markings.
I have one female Opal that is albino, and she has faint brown throat spots and head markings... you can see her throatspots in this pic a little although not as well as in person. She even has some color to her cheek patches too but she is not lacewing.

If she was a lacewing you would know it for sure ;) Mine has very faint markings too, but from the time her pin feathers started to come in they were very obviously not just albino, and had pigmint to them even though it was very light, especially her 2 main tail feathers which are very cinnamon :)

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man i was hoping for a lace wing

I probably wouldn't of even noticed if she had any brown as she was feathering as I didn't know her dad was split to cinnamon So I wouldn't of been looking for anything other than an Albino baby I often don't notice things that are right under my nose I think my head is just so full of information the important stuff slips by

I've had 3 different birds that up until they were close to 2 years old it never dawned on me they were male Opaline's and only their mothers were visually Opaline!

I've even had a male who was split to cinnamon and on about his 4th clutch with a different female (none of who were cinnamon) and about his 8th Cinnamon baby did it dawn on me the dad was spit to cinnamon I just saw Cinnamon knew they were female but the rest never clicked until later on.

some things just go right by me and I don't notice it until much later

I blame most of it on the ADD/ADHD and the fact I can't concentrate and comprehend well so it takes me longer to notice things that are obvious to others LOL

but if I took this female and put it with a Normal male who is Split to both Ino and Cinnamon then I will get Lacewings right?

because it is obvious she is albino and cinnamon she wouldn't have brown pigment if she wasn't Cinnamon :S

·
19,551 Posts
Man i was hoping for a lace wing

I probably wouldn't of even noticed if she had any brown as she was feathering as I didn't know her dad was split to cinnamon So I wouldn't of been looking for anything other than an Albino baby I often don't notice things that are right under my nose I think my head is just so full of information the important stuff slips by

but if I took this female and put it with a Normal male who is Split to both Ino and Cinnamon then I will get Lacewings right?

because it is obvious she is albino and cinnamon she wouldn't have brown pigment if she wasn't Cinnamon :S
She cant be masking cinnamon since she is ino... the 2 genes can only be in the same bird if they are a visual lacewing, even if the dad has both genes to pass on to her she only will get one unles they combine. A male can be split for both though, or showing one and split for one. I know that sounds wierd and I only found that out last week from Nev but it make sence, because cinnamon is the only gene that can change the apperance of a ino.

But if you put a male that is split ino and cinnamon ,to a ino female you can get lacewings. That is how I got mine :) It is just a matter of waiting for the 2 genes to combine ;)

·
19,551 Posts
Here is a pic of 2 babies, a lacewing(baby 2) and a normal ino(baby 4). The difference in the pigmint was very obvious because normally ino babys have light pink feather quills when they are coming in, the lacewing had brown quills that I noticed right away, thats what made me wonder as soon as her feathers started coming in she never looked normal.

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of 2 babies, a lacewing(baby 2) and a normal ino(baby 4). The difference in the pigmint was very obvious because normally ino babys have light pink feather quills when they are coming in, the lacewing had brown quills that I noticed right away, thats what made me wonder as soon as her feathers started coming in she never looked normal.
Thanks

To me though that looks "normal" - see what I'm saying my eyes or brain or something doesn't comprehend that's not how it should look Maybe its because I haven't had a lot of baby albinos and the few I had were parent raised so other than cleaning beaks, vents feet, and leg bands I didn't handle them a lot

I tried going through the pics I have of her as a baby but pretty much all I have is a top view of her body Even as a baby she was always on the go LOL I got a lot of pics of her brother and great ones -but he's a Grey spangle opaline LOL (he's the one that by the time he was almost 2 it dawned on me he was Opaline and a male and that meant their mom(albino) was masking it LOL)

but I'll go through my disks this week i may have better pictures on them I don't have many on photo bucket and i didn't have this computer when they were born so they're not on here

but now i know to pay closer attention to the albinos and lutinos

it would still be a brown tint on the lutinos too right, just probably harder to see since they're yellow

but the pair i have set up right now is their mom with a Normal blue cinnamon male not sure if he's split to anything though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.