Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to breed Winter (he's 8 months old so will be ready in 4 months).

I'd like to have Dilute Cobalt Chicks or Recessive Pied Cobalt Chicks.

Winter is a Full Body Coloured Greywing Violet Cobalt.

So I'd like to buy a female which could make this outcome possible?

If it is possible, which mutation will be appropriate for the female? (consider that I wouldn't know about the family background of the hen as birds are just sold randomly in the pet stores, which is why it might be complicated... :( )

So I guess I'll have to rely on the phenotype of the female.

So what would you suggest?

If that is not possible, I'd like lightly coloured blue chicks (possibly greywings too)...mainly cobalt or violet, or both. I'd like to avoid yellow.
(Will it be possible for the chicks to be violet too because of winter's mutation? )

And according to your suggestion, what will be the breeding Outcomes?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
To get a dilute both parents must have that gene. The same goes for RP's. So if Winter is not split for those two mutations then it will be impossible to get it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read the last part of your post. Winter will give violet chicks paired with any female, because violet is dominant - on green birds it will be difficult to see. To get light coloured babies I will get a Greywing hen - I think that some babies will be light coloured, because greywing dilutes the normal colour. Both parents must have the greywing gene. There may be other possibilities, but I'm no expert on mutations - love it though. Good luck with your brEeding plans.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
To get dilute chicks from Winter he would have to be split for dilute and you would have mate him with a hen that had a dilute gene. The best chance would be to choose a blue series dilute hen. If Winter is split for dilute you'd get about 50% dilute chicks, if he is not split for dilute you's get all greywing chicks. Half of the chicks would be cobalt regardless of the hen's dark factor. Also the violet would be inherited by half of the chicks

To get recessive pied chicks from Winter he would have to be split for recessive pied & his mate would have to be carrying the recessive pied gene. The problem with mating him to a recessive pied hen is that if neither bird was split for the other's mutation you may not get either recessive pied or greywing chicks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Winter is split for dilute you'd get about 50% dilute chicks, if he is not split for dilute you's get all greywing chicks. Half of the chicks would be cobalt regardless of the hen's dark factor. Also the violet would be inherited by half of the chicks
So does that mean if I get any blue series hen, the chicks could be greywings regardless of the hen carrying the gene?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
No. If you pair Winter with a dilute all the chicks will be greywing. If the hen doesn't have the dilute or greywing gene no greywings! Then all the chicks will be split greywing.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So there's no other way to get Greywing chicks for sure unless I breed Winter to Greywing, Clearwing or a Dilute hen...?

I looked around and I cannot find hen matching my requirements. :(

So any other possibility?

If not, then what kind of hen do you think I should Breed Winter to to get Blue chicks with beautiful markings...I don't exactly know what I want but I'd sure liek some suggestions.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Why don't you get a dom pied - blue series. A violet dom pied is a possibility and that would be a lovely bird. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.