Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

One chick is a normal blue - not sure of the shade but could be sky blue

The second chick is either a lutino or an albino. It will be a female
Thank you.

What about the Hen's mutation?

Looking at the parents, what makes the small chick to be lutino or albino?

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
Budgies do not "take after" their parents on terms of appearance in most cases. Depending on both of the parents mutation, a mix of them can create a completely new mutation. :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
What about the Hen's mutation?

Looking at the parents, what makes the small chick to be lutino or albino?
The hen is an opaline dilute green.

The ino gene that has caused the chick to be albino or lutino will have come from the father because ino is a sex-linked mutation. Either the father's mother or one of his paternal ancestor must have been an albino or lutino.

Albino is a blue series ino & lutino is a green series ino. The chick could be either because it's father is blue series & it's mother is green series

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hen is an opaline dilute green.

The ino gene that has caused the chick to be albino or lutino will have come from the father because ino is a sex-linked mutation. Either the father's mother or one of his paternal ancestor must have been an albino or lutino.

Albino is a blue series ino & lutino is a green series ino. The chick could be either because it's father is blue series & it's mother is green series
If either of the fathers parents were Ino the males would be split to ino
Thank you! :)

·
3,676 Posts
If either of the fathers parents were Ino the males would be split to ino
Only half of the male chicks from this pair will be split for ino. Unfortunately you can't tell which of the male chicks have inherited the ino gene until they have chicks of their own

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Your babies are cute!

It looks like the hen plucked the chicks' down. Do you breeding experts agree, and if so, should Budgiebud do something to prevent it, and/or should Budgiebud not breed this hen again?

·
3,676 Posts
Your babies are cute!

It looks like the hen plucked the chicks' down. Do you breeding experts agree, and if so, should Budgiebud do something to prevent it, and/or should Budgiebud not breed this hen again?
It doesn't look plucked to me

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your babies are cute!

It doesn't look plucked to me
Nev is absoulutly right.

She is one of the cutesiest hens. Very gentle...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Only half of the male chicks from this pair will be split for ino. Unfortunately you can't tell which of the male chicks have inherited the ino gene until they have chicks of their own
I didn't mean this male. I meant his dad if his dad was ino 100% of the males were split to ino if his mom was ino 100% of the males were split to ino but yes if his dad was only split then not all the babies would be ino BUT if his dad or his mom were Visual Inos 100% of the males would of been split to ino

·
Registered
925 Posts
One chick is a normal blue - not sure of the shade but could be sky blue

The second chick is either a lutino or an albino. It will be a female
Is lutino/albino in budgies kind of like calico in cats? You know, you never ever see a calico cat that is a male. They're very very very rare; if not, then they're non existent.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

Is lutino/albino in budgies kind of like calico in cats? You know, you never ever see a calico cat that is a male. They're very very very rare; if not, then they're non existent.

no its not like that at all

The lutinos I have can be Male or Female because BOTH parents are Ino ;)

If only the dad is ino or split to ino Then there'd only be females(all males split to it if he's visual Half males split to it if he's split to it)

females can't be split to ino or any other sex linked mutation So if just the mom is Ino then you'd get no visual inos but the males would be split to it.

·
3,676 Posts
To get male inos (lutino or albino) the gene must come from both parents and because a female can't carry a sex-linked gene in a hidden form the mother must be a visual ino. Male inos are not rare but they are less common than female inos

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I thought that too But I think its because its ino

here's mine from this last clutch(none were plucked) Both parents are Lutino

then here's a clutch from a few years ago dad was lutino mom was Albino
again no plucking

Very interesting. Thank you! :)

Sorry for the diversion, Budgiebud. :focus:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your welcom I thought my 1st clutch (lutino parents) were plucking the babies too then I went back and looked through my pics and noticed with my Lutino - Albino pair every time they had babies it was the same way and I know neither one of them plucked

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.