Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jada is one of our budgies,she is a very bright green so would this be classed as light green?Also her markings on her head are a little undifined so I would like to know if she is a normal or opaline?Here are some pics:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Dirty back opaline at that. Its a shame how many mutations have lost their form. Give me a clear back V opaline with good crisp wing markings any day.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Dirt back opaline at that. Its a shame how many mutations have lost their form. Give me a clear back V opaline with good crisp wing markings any day.
It's quite rare to get a clean backed opaline in a show type budgie. The ones with a nice clear V are mostly pet types

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It's quite rare to get a clean backed opaline in a show type budgie. The ones with a nice clear V are mostly pet types
Probably a result of breeding for the larger throat spots, which require more melanin to form clearly and darkly. Which results in head flecking, and dirty backs. And we know it is opaline that have been blamed for introducing head flecking among many other things..

Im fortunate to have opalines with very clean backs, however the wing markings are a little less crisp than i would like. Instead of body colour fringing the black markings, there is also some slight body colour bleeding through the black on the wings.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I don't think it's "dirt" at all. I think she's absolutely beautiful and very unique!
Sorry, i wasnt criticizing the bird itself. Only using it as an example of how a mutation has lost its purity through interbreeding. I true opaline would be a beauty indeed!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thanks for the responses,I have no idea of the parentage/breeding lines of this budgie as I have not bred any myself yet.I only posted my question to see if she was opaline or not and thankyou Nev for giving me an answer.Is an opaline bad to breed with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.