Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while I was feeding the birds I actually got to get a good look at Lucas's Rump (he's not one to hold still for anything so most of the time I get to to see his colors in pictures lol) his colors come out Much lighter & brighter than they are in person so not sure how much help the pics will be

but 1st things 1st

Is he just Recessive pied or is he Spangle too? Also is there a reason why the main part of his Nape (back of neck) is just color and doesn't have markings - it looks like some one took a eraser to the nape of his neck.

P.S. these pics are from when I first got him I didn't clip his wings they were already clipped when I bought him.

A little blurry but another view of his back

now for his color - He is not this brightly colored in person - his front looks cobalt or Violet Cobalt not Bright blue like in this picture

This is about as close to his true color on his rump as I've got

so his front blue color is more of a dark cobalt maybe Violet cobalt blue

but his rump is more of a blue grey
like this only darker (and No this isn't a budgie but its the closest to his color as i can find :giggle:)

Well While I'm at it I might as well find out what yellow face he is :giggle: when the yellow over takes the entire body like his I get very confused if he's type 1 or type 2 - because I know type 1 sometimes can end up on the area's that normally would be white

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
he's hideous... you should give him to me so you don't have to look at him one more second!!:laughing: The third picture (the front shot) makes me think pied because Julio's chest is fully grey (up to his throat). Here's a front and back of him for you to compare to Lucas

Disregard his wonky feather here, that one was hiding when I clipped him :eek:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL NOPE he's not going no where It took me 4 years to get a Recessive pied in the English budgie :p and yes he's Recessive pied - which I knew But I'm thinking he's also Spangle his markings just don't match none of my other recessive pieds but I don't know if its the yellow all over his body making it look different or not. but his markings also don't match the rest of my Spangles - But that could be the whole Recessive pied making them look different or the yellow all over him doing it as well

he's hideous... you should give him to me so you don't have to look at him one more second!!:laughing: The third picture (the front shot) makes me think pied because Julio's chest is fully grey (up to his throat). Here's a front and back of him for you to compare to Lucas

Disregard his wonky feather here, that one was hiding when I clipped him :eek:

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
For what it's worth, he looks spangle to me. I thought my YF2 cobalt opaline greywing recessive pied was also spangle at one time. I think it was Nev who said he had bred many recessive pied spangles, so maybe he will find his way to your thread and comfirm.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For what it's worth, he looks spangle to me. I thought my YF2 cobalt opaline greywing recessive pied was also spangle at one time. I think it was Nev who said he had bred many recessive pied spangles, so maybe he will find his way to your thread and comfirm.
I thought so too - Just wasn't 100% sure - Makes it a little harder with other mutations mixed in :) It took me about 2 1/2 years to figure out that My Grey Spangle (Ashes) was Also Opaline :giggle:

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I thought so too - Just wasn't 100% sure - Makes it a little harder with other mutations mixed in :) It took me about 2 1/2 years to figure out that My Grey Spangle (Ashes) was Also Opaline :giggle:
Tell me about it. The only reason I know Bruce is the mutation I mentioned in the last post is because I bred him with my cobalt opaline greywing (who may be violet) Purl. 100 % of the babies were greywing and opaline. And I got all three shades of blue which is funny because everyone told me they thought both parents were sky blues. It's hard when they have so many mutations.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
FWIW, I think he's spangle due to black edging on wings; this would also explain the lack of markings on back of neck.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I think he's spangle due to black edging on wings; this would also explain the lack of markings on back of neck.
Thank you

That's what I thought to his markings just did not match normal recessive pieds where they have a "clear" area on top but the bottoms are still dark - but I just wasn't sure if it was the yellow all over him messing it up or making it look different to me or if he was spangle

now on to his actual Color :giggle: since his front color is 100% different than his rump color :p They can't be 2 different colors

but his front looks cobalt in person (and to me it actually looks violet cobalt) but his rump is more of the blue grey like a Mauve but he can't be both cobalt and Mauve :S and with his actual body color I am sure its the yellow making it not the right ''shade'' but I still don't know which to call him cobalt or mauve -- and his mate is just now starting to go in the nest box - not sure if they're going to do anything at all they've been set up for 4 months or longer but his Mate is Raine - and she's a Violet Cinnamon Spangle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.