Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I've read here and elsewhere, people leave music or TV on for their pets, to keep some noise going so the bird feels safe.
Is this actually a good idea to do it all the time?
At the moment Chiribiri is again with family due to travel, this time will be a total only 4 weeks (last travel was 8 weeks). Between these two travel sets (several months), I had music variety playing always during daylight hours. Now while at the family's house, certain members are not fond of music, and subsequently there are long periods of time when the only sounds are nature if the doors and windows are open. Between current trips this past weekend I checked on him and.. he seemed more stressed and skiddish than usual. Granted, he's had a little more trouble settling in this time with the sudden move, he just seemed off. Maybe it's just me projecting what I think is right for the bird, though it did seem that once the music came on, he calmed down and even ate some veggies.
This makes me wonder if it's a good idea from a psychological perspective to train the bird to be used to the music/tv in the long run. Ideally I'd be there 24/7 with the little guy but that's just not always possible.
Some of this could also be that Chiribiri has a bit of a traumatized past thanks to twice-daily medicating before sharing a bond, so he's more prone to angst and mistrust. I dunno. Not a parakeet whisperer here.
Thoughts/comments/advice?

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,289 Posts
I think that the idea is just that it's not "silent" around the bird for long stretches of time during the day.
In nature, "quiet" usually means "danger"; so it could stress your bird out if there's no noise going on.

If people are around in the house, or there's a window open to hear the outside sounds; that seems totally fine. I just put on music for my boys if no one is going to be home and it's too hot (or cold) to have the windows open.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've noticed this too, music seems to calm them because it's been a constant companion / background noise their entire lives. Sometimes I'll have it quiet and it's just the sound of me at the PC or on the phone, but I always have something playing when I leave them alone.

I guess it can sort of be a double edged sword. Without the music in a new environment, they might be extra stressed. But then putting the music on does calm them down. So I only see it being a problem in your situation where you're leaving the birds with other people for extended periods.

Ultimately, I'd prefer giving them background noise and music as it provides stimulus and something for them to focus on if they wish to. I'd feel a lot guiltier leaving them in a quiet apartment, with the only noise being each other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends where you live too I guess, if you live on a busy road then it should be okay to not have the TV or radio on. But I think having noise in the background does help your birdie know there's people around. I'd keep an eye out on your energy bill if you do keep your TV on!

PS - sorry to hear about your birds traumatized past :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts