Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bird like 2 days ago I think and she only started doing this today but she keeps scratching herself(?) like for a while then stops and does it again? She also keeps fluttering her wings if that makes sense and shaking her tail. She also tends to sneeze alot, im not quite sure "alot" would be but a fair amount. I also dont know if its a sneeze but i think it sounds like that. Is there anything wrong? She also is like rubbing her face area on her perch. I put a air purifier in the room shes in to see if that helps. I also sprayed a bit of water on her to see if its because she needs a bath. My mom thinks its because its colder now because its winter (im in canada) and her skin is dry but im not sure. She wasnt doing this yesterday so yeah.
What do I do?

·
Super Moderator
4,394 Posts
She's beautiful, what have you named her? I do not see any discharge from the nares or any discoloration of the feathers above the cere that would indicate a respiratory or sinus issue. Make sure you are not using any scented candles, air fresheners, no smoking or fumes of any kind around her, take a look at this article about household hazards for birds and keep a close watch on her to make sure the sneezing is not increasing https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Household-Hazards-2013.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's beautiful, what have you named her? I do not see any discharge from the nares or any discoloration of the feathers above the cere that would indicate a respiratory or sinus issue. Make sure you are not using any scented candles, air fresheners, no smoking or fumes of any kind around her, take a look at this article about household hazards for birds and keep a close watch on her to make sure the sneezing is not increasing https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Household-Hazards-2013.pdf
The store already had a name for her but I changed the spelling, her name is Eevee! Yes like the pokemon. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
57,347 Posts
Eevee really is lovely.

Have you had her checked by an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" checkup?

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

If the air is dry in your home, then I recommend you get a warm mist humidifier to use in the room where you are keeping Eevee's cage.
Make sure it is warm mist - not cool. You can put a drop or two of pure 100% essential eucalyptus oil in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts