Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two budgies 3 years ago, and when I got home from school yesterday, I discovered one had passed. There were no physical injuries, and I feed my parakeets quite well, so I'm thinking it could be an illness.
To be careful, I cleaned out the entire cage. I've also been monitoring my remaining budgie very carefully and I noticed that her cere, while it is brown, also has some blue on it. Also, her left nostril seems to be blocked. When she exhales the nostril is blocked by something and when she inhales it disappears. This keeps on repeating. She eats well and still chirps quite loudly. Her poops are also normal. She doesn't move around as much though. I recently moved her into a new room to monitor her better. Could it be allergies?

I'll post a picture soon, but the main reason I'm asking this is because I can get very paranoid and I would like some other opinions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Whenever you are in doubt, always go to the vet to be completely sure.

If your budgie's cere was brown normally, your budgie is a female.

Female budgie's ceres turn brown when they are in breeding condition, and turn a light blue with some white when out of condition.

Your other budgie passing may have brought her out of condition, but hopefully other members can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, that's what I thought.
I'll have to schedule an appointment next Saturday though, and waiting so long frightens me.
The only avian vet I know closes on Sunday, and I'll be teaching during the weekdays.

I have been reading about possible illnesses and I think it could be vitamin A deficiency, since she is such a picky eater. I just put in a chili pepper and so far she hasn't touched it. I'll have to break it up and hopefully she'll try it. I'll try to give her some more vitamin A.

And before I forget, should I get her another friend? The timing is so bad, but I have a teacher's conference to go to near the end of December and I won't get back until January. (7 days long) I've debated on letting her live with one of my friends, but they all have zero experience with budgies and some even have young children. Would introducing a new budgie so quickly be bad?

I also want to note I got both of my budgies at Petco. (Bad idea in hindsight) They told me that they were both boys, but as they matured, it grew obvious to me they were both female. (brown ceres) If I were to get her a budgie friend, should I get a male or another female? I've read that females are more aggressive, but I don't want to have more budgies yet, if you know what I mean.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

You have my deepest sympathies over your budgie's passing. :(
Given the circumstances and to give you some peace of mind, it really is best to have your budgie properly examined by a specialized avian vet, so that your budgie is properly treated in case her mate has passed a possible illness to her. If she does a clogged up nostril then this should also be better addressed under the vet's guidance.

Best of luck with everything.

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Super Moderator
20,165 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forums.

I'm so sorry you lost your budgie :( May the stars welcome a new member to their ranks.

I think it's best to give your female a chance to adjust before rushing to get her a friend. She needs time to grieve, and by then, you'll have a better idea of what to do for her.

I hope to see you around, please let us know what the vet says! :wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.