Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters have 2 budgies - a boy and a girl. We're about to celebrate having them with us for a year but I fear our little girl may be very ill and we don't have a local vet that deals with budgies. The space above what I would call her nose (cere I think it is called?) is very pink and swollen and the feathers around her eye are brown. Her eye itself looks clear of any mucus. She seems particularly agitated at the moment and doing quite a bit of sleeping.

Do I need to find her a vet or is this part of moulting?

Many thanks in advance
Gillian

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
Please post a close-up picture of the area you are concerned about.

Since there is swelling, I'm wondering if she has scaly face mites. It would help to be able to see the problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
This is something that needs attention from an avian vet, how long has it been like this? If there are no avian vets around you try an exotic vet, they usually have someone on staff that treats birds. If you are still unable to find a vet try contacting a zoo or wildlife rescue and ask for a referral to a vet. I cannot tell much from the picture but it is possible that there is fluid built up under the swelling and it may be slowing seeping out around the eye causing a discoloration and or crusting in the feathers around the eye. If there is pressure building up under the lump it is no doubt making the bird uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Thank you so much for your advice. I phoned our local vet who agreed to see her and she said Nugget had an abscess of sorts and she cleaned it out (it looked disgusting!) and applied an antibiotic cream. She's hoping the one application will be enough otherwise I will need to go back and then apply every day.
I am so relieved and so happy :lovie 1:

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Glad you were able to get it looked at, she should feel better now, if you see her excessively rubbing the area against the cage or elsewhere it may still be bothering her, watch closely to make sure it does not build up again.

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
Thank you for having your little girl seen by the vet. I'm glad to hear the problem is being properly addressed.

I'm moving your thread over to the Follow-Up section of the forum and would appreciate it if you'd give us an update on her condition in a few days.

Additionally, please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Site Guidelines
Posting on the Forums
Please do not use Emojis from Phones - use Forum Smilies Only
Let's Talk Budgies
How-To Guides
FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Budgie Articles
List of Stickies
Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Avian First Aid
Why Quarantine?

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Guidance regarding Breeding Advice Threads

Recommended Minimum Cage Sizes
Essentials for a Great Cage
Resource Directory

When you upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer, tablet or phone, the forum automatically defaults to landscape. Additionally, the picture appears as what we term a "thumbnail" attachment.

To upload full-sized pictures with the proper orientation, please use a photo-sharing service such as Imgur and follow the steps in these instructions:
How to Post Full Size Pictures from a Photo Sharing Site
You can practice uploading pictures in the site's "Test Forum:
Test Forum

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.