Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because he's a bit bigger/fatter than my all Americans. He also has a slightly larger forehead I think. Take a look.

Here's him with one of my Americans, Juliet.

With Banjo

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
He looks full American :) Budgies will vary in size even within each type. My females are all bigger than my males and my two boys Smore and BonBon are both bigger than their father Fuji, who is actually the smallest in the flock and they're all full Americans.

He is quite handsome though :loveeyes:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks full American :) Budgies will vary in size even within each type. My females are all bigger than my males and my two boys Smore and BonBon are both bigger than their father Fuji, who is actually the smallest in the flock and they're all full Americans.

He is quite handsome though :loveeyes:
Oh ok thanks! What is the difference between American/English crosses and full Americans though?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Oh ok thanks! What is the difference between American/English crosses and full Americans though?
American/English crosses means that one of the budgie's parents was an English budgie and the other was the standard American type. Full Americans are budgies whose parents are both American type budgies :)

Another way of saying English/American cross that is often used on here is "Half English". Many breeders who breed English budgies do not consider crosses as "real" Englishes because they are mixed :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
American/English crosses means that one of the budgie's parents was an English budgie and the other was the standard American type. Full Americans are budgies whose parents are both American type budgies :)

Another way of saying English/American cross that is often used on here is "Half English". Many breeders who breed English budgies do not consider crosses as "real" Englishes because they are mixed :)
Well what I meant was what is the difference in appearance. X) But that's good information too!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Well what I meant was what is the difference in appearance. X) But that's good information too!
In American/English crosses, most (note not all) will possess features of English budgies, large size difference, large head feathers, heavy markings in cheek patches (where applicable) etc. In full American budgies, they will look like the standard American type :)

A rule of thumb I usually follow is if you have to think twice about whether a budgie is English or overly look for signs that suggest he/she has some English in him/her, he/she is most likely not English :p

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In American/English crosses, most (note not all) will possess features of English budgies, large size difference, large head feathers, heavy markings in cheek patches (where applicable) etc. In full American budgies, they will look like the standard American type :)

A rule of thumb I usually follow is if you have to think twice about whether a budgie is English or overly look for signs that suggest he/she has some English in him/her, he/she is most likely not English :p
Oh ok thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Our american english crosses look very american, just a little bigger and they tend to be calmer in temperament. They didn't have really fluffy heads or large spots. I wouldn't be surprised if Romeo had some english in him. He may not be a 50/50 cross though.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Here is a bird that is a cross between an English and American. You will see that his head is a little bigger than a normal American. You can also see that the eyes are different.
Bird Light Beak World Branch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.