Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dark green opaline spangle?

If she was bred and was split blue she could have blues with a blue series male and would pass on spangle to 50% of her chicks as well as 100% of her male chicks would be split to Opaline. If she is not split to blue all of her chicks would be green series 50% spangle 100% split to opaline and blue if bred with a blue series ****. Is that correct?

Also if she in fact is a dark green and was bred to a sky blue...what shades of color would she pass onto her chicks?

Attachments

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Looks like you have it right to me :)

If she was mated to a sky blue half of her chicks will get one dark factor ( being cobalt blue or dark green) and half will get no dark factor (being sky blue or light green) the blues will only show if she is split blue like you mentioned, otherwise they will all be light green and dark greens :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay so she also has clear patches on her front like a clears flight pied normally does so could she also be a clear flighted pied? I can't specifically tell as the pet shop has her clipped.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my next question is if I was looking for an opaline spangle "rainbow" budgie how would I have to go about doing it? if I breed her to a yellowface type two male split for opaline would I get the opaline spangle budgies. if she is not split to blue and I do not have a male split to opaline could I take one of their male spangles that are split to opaline and therefore blue and breed him to a blue series hen and obtain a opaline spangle rainbow budgie??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture of her clearing on her chest. and a close up of her back. :) I think she is Adorable Her name is Summer. I also noticed that she has a sheen of blue by her vent and in some of her chest feathers does this mean she is split blue or could contain the violet gene?

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
If you breed her to an opaline male, all the chicks will be opaline. If you bred her to a male that is split to opaline, 50% of the hens and cocks will be opaline. Technically, spangle is not included in what defines a rainbow budgie. Rainbow budgies are YF, blue series, opaline and clearwing. However, I must say that a YF blue opaline spangle is quite the beautiful bird.

·
Registered
735 Posts
You are right about the genetics.. BUT..

She...actually doesn't look like an opaline spangle to me. :eek: If she was an opaline spangle you wouldn't see any black patterns in the wings or very little of it.

I think what your seeing in her wing pattern is something I've noticed is a trend of birds that have the opaline gene. They have a patch on their wings that is inverted. Like this.

(This is not me. This is my friend and her bird, Holly. XD )

This is Opaline spangle.
http://www.***************/v_spangleop1.jpg

Image pulled from Here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.