Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first got Tallulah I was under the impression that he was lutino. His eyes weren't really red... but in certain lighting you could definitely see some red in there. I would call them a deep plum color. I've gone back and forth about his mutation.

Here's where my confusion lies... everywhere that I've read says that lutinos will develop visible iris rings. I've certainly seen photos of lutinos with iris rings. However, Tallulah is over 2 years old and there are no signs of his iris.

Does this mean that he could actually be a DEC or do lutinos sometimes just never develop visible iris rings?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the visible iris is a determining factor then? He's a DEC afterall?

I think I asked here over a year ago when I first saw a DEC and started wondering. I was told that if his eyes are plum then he's definitely a lutino. His eyes aren't black, they definitely have some red in there making them a deep plum color, but they aren't as red as photos I've seen of lutinos. Again... definitely no visible iris rings so I guess he has to be a DEC?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
So the visible iris is a determining factor then? He's a DEC afterall?

I think I asked here over a year ago when I first saw a DEC and started wondering. I was told that if his eyes are plum then he's definitely a lutino. His eyes aren't black, they definitely have some red in there making them a deep plum color, but they aren't as red as photos I've seen of lutinos. Again... definitely no visible iris rings so I guess he has to be a DEC?
If he has red eyes he is lutino. He coule be Lutino carrying recessive pied which is showing through due to the lack of iris rings.
Some birds also just don't get them, every bird is different :)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hmmmmm.....he is the spitting image of my lems so I am calling lutino. My lems does have iris rings. But you know you can only see the iris rings in bright light. You gotta really look closely. I think we are gonna have to see like lots of pic of Tallulah to figure it out :D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
When I look at pictures of both of your little yellow loves I do see a difference between them.
Tallahula's eyes photograph dark where as Lemy's more red. It could be the photos playing tricks tho.

I am looking into getting a yellow budgie for Pekoe and have been researching. I thought Tallhula was a dec and Lemy a lutino?

So, I agree we need more pics :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha so now I'm all sorts of confused!!!

Amelia brings an interesting option to the table... a lutino carrying recessive pied, or maybe he just decided against revealing his iris to the world?!

Tallulah's eyes are very dark, but Sparky's eyes do look darker. Looking back at photos I think that Lulah's eyes were a little redish when he was younger. I have some photos at home I'll have to track down. Michelle, do Lemmy's look like this, only with iris rings? Lemmy is about a year younger than Tallulah right? I've looked very hard and close and no rings in sight... although from what Amelia has said, that isn't always a determining factor.

Here are photos from last summer... the photos aren't great, but at least it is natural lighting.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
First of all.....adorable!! Great pics! I just love Tallulah. Second, hate to tell you but Lems eyes are way more red. Y'know plumish....... Tallulah does look more like Sparky in these photos.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There is another option for a dark eyed yellow bird with no iris rings:
A double factor spangle that is masking recessive pied will not get iris rings. These are far more common than dark eyed clears

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is another option for a dark eyed yellow bird with no iris rings:
A double factor spangle that is masking recessive pied will not get iris rings. These are far more common than dark eyed clears
Ohhhh I almost mentioned a DFS but in all of the photos I had seen they had visible iris rings... this whole masking recessive pied thing is adding an element of confusion!?

Haha oh geez, I have no idea now!? Maybe I'll just call him a yellow budgie! The tricky part comes in when people say "he doesn't look like the parakeets I've seen in the petstore" and I feel like I need to explain that he's a different mutation... maybe I'll just say "he could be 1 of 3 solid yellow mutations." That covers it right?! lol I just wish I knew. Since I'm not planning on breeding him I guess we will never know!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
:)
You could really throw people off and tell them he is a Hungarian Giant Canary :p

I bet they'd google that for sure:)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:)
You could really throw people off and tell them he is a Hungarian Giant Canary :p

I bet they'd google that for sure:)
Hahaha! I'll totally go with that! For as much as most people know about birds I could probably just go with calling him a canary. The first idiot vet I brought him to called him one :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.