Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking throught some threads on another forum and a male dominant pied grey was paired with a yf2 dominant pied sky blue.

and produce 5 chick.

1 of them being a dominant pied opaline male:S

is that supposed to happen!? o_O

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
Its come from the father only a male can be split for a sex linked gene and opaline is sex linked. Therefore I think a mistake has been made with the sex of the opaline baby it can only be a hen, unless the mother was a visual opaline and the father split or visual opaline, that is the only way you would get an opaline male. But I think if that was the case you would get alot more opaline offspring.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its come from the father only a male can be split for a sex linked gene and opaline is sex linked. Therefore I think a mistake has been made with the sex of the opaline baby it can only be a hen, unless the mother was a visual opaline and the father split or visual opaline, that is the only way you would get an opaline male. But I think if that was the case you would get alot more opaline offspring.
neither of the parents were opaline (not sure if he was split)
but the owner is 99.9% sure the opaline is male :S its really sonfusing!

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
It is possible the hen is an opaline yf2 dominant pied sky blue. Sometimes it can be difficult to pick up opaline in a pied bird.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is possible the hen is an opaline yf2 dominant pied sky blue. Sometimes it can be difficult to pick up opaline in a pied bird.
yes your probably right..i couldnt see it but im a bit bad at finding opaline in pieds.still dont know if lilac is opaline *^_^*

is greywing sex-linked too ?

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greywing is recessive I believe. :)
About Lilac, if she's the pied bird in the middle of your sig then she is an Opaline.
yep that her..and thanks:)

Jen is right Greywing is Autosomal Recessive. More correctly they are Dilute Mutant 1 and Dilute Mutant 2.
thanks for the help:D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
i was looking throught some threads on another forum and a male dominant pied grey was paired with a yf2 dominant pied sky blue.

and produce 5 chick.

1 of them being a dominant pied opaline male:S

is that supposed to happen!? o_O
If the male is split for opaline you could get dominant pied opaline female chicks. To get an opaline male the mother would have to be a visual opaline. Possibly they have got the chicks sex wrong or maybe the mutations have not been judged correctly. If they are colony breeding and another hen could have laid an egg in the nest

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the male is split for opaline you could get dominant pied opaline female chicks. To get an opaline male the mother would have to be a visual opaline. Possibly they have got the chicks sex wrong or maybe the mutations have not been judged correctly. If they are colony breeding and another hen could have laid an egg in the nest
they wernt colony breeding.
i have seen the female and im am positive that she isnt opaline ( i had a second look)
the owner are 99.9% sure its male. it has no white rings round the nostrils and is bright pink o_O
but thanks for your help..ill let you all know if the owners hav changed their mind on the sex!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.