Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read up on the violet factor on Lindsey's mutation guide and just wanted to check that i have understood it right

I have bred a pair of my budgies which I have always assumed were mauve as they do have a deep purple color to them.

The clutch that they have just had they had 5 babies 4 mauve sf spangles but the 5th baby was a normal cobalt with no violet coloring at all.

Does this mean that in fact one or both of the parents is actually a cobalt with sf/df?? violet as i thought that it would be impossible for 2 mauves to have a cobalt

Thanks
Craig

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Can you post pictures of the parents and chicks, in natural light?

Spangle
I infer from your post that one or both parents is SF spangle, but neither parent is DF spangle. (Irrelevant to body color, but just wanted to mention it anyway.)

Dark Factors
You're correct that 2 mauve birds (each with 2 dark factors) cannot produce a cobalt (1 dark factor) chick; all their chicks will be mauve.

A mauve parent (2 dark factors) x cobalt parent (1 dark factor) will produce 50% mauve chicks and 50% cobalt chicks.

A mauve parent (2 dark factors) x sky blue parent (0 dark factors) will produce 100% cobalt chicks.

Violet Color-adding Factor
If one of your chicks is not violet, then neither parent can be DF violet. However, one or both parents could be SF violet, and one non-violet gene from each parent combined to produce your non-violet chick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying I will try to get some pics up later today but might not be until tomorrow

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I have read up on the violet factor on Lindsey's mutation guide and just wanted to check that i have understood it right

I have bred a pair of my budgies which I have always assumed were mauve as they do have a deep purple color to them.

The clutch that they have just had they had 5 babies 4 mauve sf spangles but the 5th baby was a normal cobalt with no violet coloring at all.

Does this mean that in fact one or both of the parents is actually a cobalt with sf/df?? violet as i thought that it would be impossible for 2 mauves to have a cobalt

Thanks
Craig
You are correct :)

Violet grey can often look similar to a mauve too. I look forward to the pics! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey everyone sorry for the delay with the pics but my camera juts kind of died so i had to get a new one.

Here are the pics of mum and dad (these were the best i could get color wise so i'm hoping they are ok)

I also realized i said 4 mauve spangles which was incorrect as one was from a different pair any way here are the chicks
oh and sorry they look a bit messy they had just had their egg food
Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Chick 5

Chick 3 & 5 are probably the ones i was most surprised about

·
Registered
155 Posts
Beautiful budgies!Especially the 2nd chick and the 4th!

What made you believe that the parents are mauves?

The hen is sky and the dad violet!

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
Hi. Craig. I thought id send you a photo of my budgei Indi to see Indi is a yellow faced violet seeing you have violet budgies id thought you would like to see my violet budgie. Lyn and Indi

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful budgies!Especially the 2nd chick and the 4th!

What made you believe that the parents are mauves?

The hen is sky and the dad violet!
Hi George thanks these 2 are probably my favorites as they were the 1st pair that i bred.

The only reason i thought they were mauve was that i got them when i was first starting out and that was what i was told that they were. In person they do have a deeper mauve look to them which is really hard to capture in photos.

Hi. Craig. I thought id send you a photo of my budgei Indi to see Indi is a yellow faced violet seeing you have violet budgies id thought you would like to see my violet budgie. Lyn and Indi

Thanks Lyn, Indi is a beautiful little guy:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.