Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the whole mutation thing, so im not sure.
would a bird that is entirely yellow with cinnamon markings be called a cinnamon lutino? or a cinnamon yellow? or something else altogether? lol. i tried to figure it out myself using the link in the sticky, but couldnt - i got confuzzled :rolleyes: lol

here she is
excuse the bad photos they were taken on my mobile (and taken sneakily too ;))

also, what are the likely outcomes if i decided to breed (not sure if i will yet, need to learn more first and decide if i would be able to deal with problems that would arise etc!!!) these birds:

all white female
the cinnamon yellow bird from above

cobalt normal male
green normal male

thank you in advance for your help

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the replies.
she isnt green though? or does that not matter. lol
and what would be lutino then? because on that page, it says that lutino is entirely yellow?
i shouldnt try to figure out mutations - i should jst ask you all straight away instead haha

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha i love it!
thank you - sorry im so thick lol. im gonna stop trying to guess altogether, i havent been right once! well, apart from normals, but thats easy lol
so she is an opaline olive. cool.
so when you say what she is, where would you put the word cinnamon in? before or after opaline or olive?

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
haha i love it!
thank you - sorry im so thick lol. im gonna stop trying to guess altogether, i havent been right once! well, apart from normals, but thats easy lol
so she is an opaline olive. cool.
so when you say what she is, where would you put the word cinnamon in? before or after opaline or olive?
no problem :p
itd look like this

Cinnamon Opaline Olive Green

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats great, thanks.
hmm now to decide. they've got 3 cinnamon opaline olive greens ;)
and 3 albinos or they might be df spangles apparantly - i was looking on the site again and that can make them all white. i didnt see the eyes properly, il know on tuesday though!

anyhow, now i have to decide whether to get 2 cinnamon opaline spangles. or 1 of each. decisions decisions!!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found something on this website
http://www.budgiesforsale.co.uk/budgie-varieties.html
The Opaline Budgie. There are six variations of Opaline, all with V shaped designs in their backs and yellow face masks barring the Skyblue, whose has a white face mask. The six variations being; Opaline Green (purple cheek spots and throat spots), Opaline Light Green (grassy green in colour but lighter than the Cinnamon),Opaline Cinnamon Light Green (spots being cinnamon brown), Opaline Dark Green (deep green plumage),Opaline Skyblue (skyblue plumage), Opaline Olive Green (even olive green plumage) and the Opaline Grey Green (fully green feathers).
so if there is only one type of cinnamon opaline, that means she is
opaline cinnamon light green instead of olive???
is that right or have i messed up again lol

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird is an opaline cinnamon olive (or possible opaline cinnamon grey green). The cinnamon gene reduces the body colour making the green shade very pale.

The correct name for a cinnamon lutino is "lacewing". It would have red eyes, cinnamon wing markings and clear yellow body colour (or white if it was blue series)

In your photo your bird looks like a female. Both opaline and cinnamon are sex-linked mutations so the male would need to have these mutations for them to show in the chicks

·
Registered
93 Posts
i found something on this website
http://www.budgiesforsale.co.uk/budgie-varieties.html

so if there is only one type of cinnamon opaline, that means she is
opaline cinnamon light green instead of olive???
is that right or have i messed up again lol
from what i know, even though cinnamon and opaline are both sex linked mutations, they work independently. Hence, a cinnamon gene could appear in any color opaline and not only in light green opalines.
someone please correct me if i am wrong. i am too learning :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
from what i know, even though cinnamon and opaline are both sex linked mutations, they work independently. Hence, a cinnamon gene could appear in any color opaline and not only in light green opalines.
someone please correct me if i am wrong. i am too learning :)
you are correct:D

every budgie has one of the six basic body colours: light green, dark green, olive, skyblue, cobalt or mauve.

from there the different varieties alter the appearance of the markings or basic colour. and many of the varieties can be present at one time on a single bird.

so you can get any variety in each of the six body colours. of course some of the varieties (such as ino) will hide the body colour, but it is still genetically there...

so an opaline cinnamon can come in any of the body colours!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.