Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a clear flight. I thought (though I could be wrong) that clear flights had clear tail feathers, too.
Very pretty.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I am 100% sure that it is a Clearflight Pied...have seen the front picture of this bird, he had no Dominant Pied band. The wings are clear too despite the diffusion of yellow.

But I want to confirm the Yellowface Type, and the Cobalt colour, and it seems there's slight Violet to it too but I am not sure.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Rashdan
I do not know the mutation, but where is Neville? He can tell you, but it is a beautiful budgie? Is it yours?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this bird is gorgeous.

No, this bird isn't mine...a guy asked about this mutation in a Facebook group and I had told him that this is a Clearflight Pied Yellowface 2 Cobalt.

He won't believe me because I am young, and in my country, it is assumed that young people don't know anything, only adults can be right (I am an adult too, but being 19 is like being a 2 year old to them). So he annoyed me a lot...so I told him to confirm his mutation from other breeders.

But to prove him I am right, I need to prove myself I am right about most of the mutations of this bird, this is why I asked it here.

If I am wrong, I want to be corrected so I'll know better the next time.

:)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Ok, so I have no idea what this mutation is but I wanted to ask what makes a clearflight a clearflight? Is is because there are no markings on the wings? Is that also a clear wing mutation or are the different or are they the same? Also, I have no idea how to describe it really, but the part of the wings with the black feathers, isn't that actually part of the wing and does it have to be clear of color or it is ok for it to have the black feathers? I love all colors and mutations of birds but wow there are so many different mutations how do you keep them all straight?

I know, not help to you but just had to ask anyway! I hope you are right though! It is a shame that people don't regard younger people as intelligent enough to have an opinion!

Lisa

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I thought that a clearflight pied has a "bald" spot on its head. It looks further like a golden face to me. Would love to hear Lindsey and Nev's opinions.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Yes, this bird is gorgeous.

No, this bird isn't mine...a guy asked about this mutation in a Facebook group and I had told him that this is a Clearflight Pied Yellowface 2 Cobalt.

He won't believe me because I am young, and in my country, it is assumed that young people don't know anything, only adults can be right (I am an adult too, but being 19 is like being a 2 year old to them). So he annoyed me a lot...so I told him to confirm his mutation from other breeders.

But to prove him I am right, I need to prove myself I am right about most of the mutations of this bird, this is why I asked it here.

If I am wrong, I want to be corrected so I'll know better the next time.

:)
I hope you are right!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
PM Lindsey and Nev, and have them post here.

This is from Wikipedia (I've removed a lot of the text for copyright reasons -- check the link for the full description):

"The Clearflight Pied has two main characteristics: a clear patch at the nape of the neck and, ideally, completely clear primary flight and long tail feathers. All other features are normal . . . The nape spot is almost always present, but it varies considerably in size. . . While well-marked Clearflight Pieds have all 10 primaries and both long tail feathers clear, many specimens show just a few clear flight feathers and occasionally none at all are affected . . .Poorly marked Clearflight Pieds can look rather like Recessive Pieds, but they may be distinguished from them by the white iris ring, which is always present in adult Clearflights. . . Clearflights have normally coloured blue-grey feet (Dominant Pieds usually have pink feet), and secondly, if they possess extensive clear areas on the breast, these always extends down from the mask whereas the clear areas of a Dominant Pied are always lower down on the abdomen with an area of normal body colour immediately below the mask and separated from it by a sharp dividing line."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearflight_Pied_budgerigar_mutation

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
As a side note: my YF II cobalt recessive pied has completely white flight feathers, and my last budgie, a green/yellow dominant pied, also had white flight feathers.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Do you know the age of this bird? He doesn't have any iris rings, but I think he is still young.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I'm 71 years old so maybe the owner will think I'm too old to know anything

This bird looks like a type 2 yellow face cobalt clearflight pied to me. Not every bird will exactly match the official description. The yellow face could he double factor.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nev, my recessive pied has all white flight feathers and all yellow tail feathers. Is it possible to have a clearflight recessive pied?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

This bird looks like a type 2 yellow face cobalt clearflight pied to me. Not every bird will exactly match the official description. The yellow face could he double factor.
You know that we think very highly of you and your knowledge. If you say it is a clearflight pied; we believe you!
Nev, my recessive pied has all white flight feathers and all yellow tail feathers. Is it possible to have a clearflight recessive pied?
A clearflight pied RP is a DEC - a yellow or white bird with dark eyes.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts

Thank you for your reply. We are so glad to have you on the forum.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks, Dries. My RP has markings, so he is not a dark-eyed clear. He has clear tail and flight feathers only.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
As Dries has said it can't be a combination of cleaflight pied and recessive pied because that combination is a dark eyed clear.

Because recessive pied markings are random some will have clear flight and tail feathers but most will not. As your bird has white flights and yellow tail feathers I presume it is a yellow face

It could be a combination of dominant pied and clearflight pied or a combination of dominant pied and recessive pied. Or it could be a double factor dominant pied as these are often mistaken for recessive pieds

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
He doesn't have iris rings, and although I don't know how old he is, I would expect him to have them by now if he were a double factor dominant pied. I think he's just a yellow-face recessive pied.

I don't know how you experts can keep all the mutations straight, especially when you start talking about "split for" signs. But I do enjoy reading all of it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.