Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
:love: BEAUTIFUL! I am not sure whether your bird is a rainbow or not however from what I have seen on google, your little one does look awfully like a rainbow budgie. They are so hard to tell from other mutations because they have to be so exact so I think I shall wait for a breeder who knows about mutations to come along and tell you :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for calling him cute ;) I thought so too of course; I went to the pet store only to have a look, but then I simply couldn't leave without taking him home with me.

It was the pet store that told me he is a rainbow budgie, but I am not sure how much I can trust their expertise, so I thought I ask some real experts on this forum also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
He's what *I* call a Rainbow Spangle -- instead of a clearwing, he's a spangle -- with all the other necessary Rainbow components in place (opaline, white-based, yellowface or goldenface). Personally, I prefer the opaline spangle wing pattern over the clearwing one.

Here's a photo of one of my "Rainbow Spangles". The flash overpowered his color (it's more brilliant in natural light):
http://puppiesareprozac.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/IMG_1594web.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No he isn't.

A true Rainbow is a Yellowface/ Goldenface Opaline Clearwing on a blue series bird.
So, he is not a true rainbow because he has the yellow coloring on his wings? (If I understand the terms correctly) :) How would his wings need to look to be a true rainbow then, would they have to be all white?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's what *I* call a Rainbow Spangle -- instead of a clearwing, he's a spangle -- with all the other necessary Rainbow components in place (opaline, white-based, yellowface or goldenface). Personally, I prefer the opaline spangle wing pattern over the clearwing one.

Here's a photo of one of my "Rainbow Spangles". The flash overpowered his color (it's more brilliant in natural light):
http://puppiesareprozac.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/IMG_1594web.jpg
Thank you for a great explanation. Your budgie is really beautiful!

So if my new budgie is really a spangle, then he could have chicks that are blue with spangle wings (depending on what color his girlfriend has)? :cool:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
So, he is not a true rainbow because he has the yellow coloring on his wings? (If I understand the terms correctly) :) How would his wings need to look to be a true rainbow then, would they have to be all white?
No he isn't a true rainbow because he's not a Clear wing he's a spangle .

Also I saw some one noted looking at rainbows on Google- Don't trust those! 90% are called rainbows ONLY because they have many different colors in them they're not a true Rainbow.. a TRUE Rainbow is what Captinhowdy Mentioned. and to me if it's Not exactly as she put it, then it is not to be called a Rainbow! What she wrote is what the Standards call for on a True Rainbow. So if it has anything else mixed in Like Spangle Then it is not a True Rainbow and should not be called/considered one

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Thank for telling me this Kelli :) I thought all budgies listed on google were correct but now I think about it :giggle: that was a big mistake :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thank for telling me this Kelli :) I thought all budgies listed on google were correct but now I think about it :giggle: that was a big mistake :D

your welcome

I get a kick out of Googling - I'll search for say a certain Color Lovebird, I'll get matches in EVERY bird that has that color in the name Like If I googled Violet peach Face Lovebirds, I'll get lovebirds (not even all of them are violets lol), Budgies, Indian Ringnecks, and not all of those are even violet I've gotten Green Budgies, Blue Ringnecks, Even cockatiels get thrown in the mix

After a while it irritates me though because The internet and Google(or any search engine) was supposed to make our Lives easier- Well when its giving me every thing except what I looked up - how is that making my life any easier? LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
Agree with ATVChick & CaptainHowdy,

Google's automated search functions (spiders) pick up a lot of un-related, in-accurate and in-appropriate knowledge on genetics...so it's good you've given TB a call for advise!

The true "Rainbow" description is properly described in the WBO's (World Budgerigar Organisation) colour standard:
http://www.world-budgerigar.org/

...wherein it's noted that:- "The Rainbow is not a proper example of the variety unless it is visibly an Opaline, a Whitewing, a Yellowface or Goldenface".

no fewer or less than such genes, not more genes either:

Here's a Opaline:
Budgy0611_0111e1s.jpg
You'll see the sky-blue body colour now enters the wing-feathers, replacing the otherwise white in normal birds.

..and here's a White -wing, Blue series bird (Yellow-wing exist in yellow-series birds, but both are called "clearwings" - these exist only to it's true extent ito colour throughout body, tail, etc in Australia...although excellent examples exist in UK, proper colour is difficult to find, even the UK!)
White-wing Guppybarnes.JPG

The above bird's wing-markings (as noted above) makes for it being less "clear", unlike the "clearwing" name suggest..(thus the comment on Aus birds above)...this bird probably has the greywing gene as well, or is just "heavily marked" from attempts at breeding the larger show-type bird.

...and here's the Golden-face in blue-series bird:
rainbowbaby.jpg
Birds such as these are shown as "rainbows' on some websites, such birds could very well have the "clear-wing" replaced by the "grey-wing" in this example. The yellow of the "Yellow-face (YF)" or "Golden-face" ought to be limited to the head, tail and wing feathers only...and, as in the former, not "merge" into the blue body colour to become a sea-foam green (as for YF, type 2 genes).

Well, mix them up all together ....and you get this wonderful & colourful "composite RAINBOW bird" (if you can find the "white-wing"-gene!; like in my case, it's almost a futile search not worth having - as none exists in RSA)...
Slide_62a.jpg

This has been my "quest" for last 1.5yrs...but alas I may need to import the clearwing birds first to achieve my aim?! (battling to isolate the "clearwing genes" from "full body colour greywing" birds I do have! Nev here at TB can explain better the variations between the greywing, dilute and clearwing genes; given they are very close genetically (or old TB posts can help).

Enjoy your bird...it looks great, bright and colourful...and although not truly "rainbow"..it shows-off in colour well enough!

JacodK

PS-Add the "violet" (colour adding) factor to the blue-series bird...and the end-result is even more stunning....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don"t have the answer for rainbow budgie. Does have multi colors, mostly blue, which blend together nicely. Keep searching the web, you will get an answer as if bird is a rainbow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here is a normal "spangle" bird:
Budgy0611_0110e1s.jpg

...and if you add the noted "opaline" to the above "spangle", "opaline spangle" babies such as yours arrive - (one of mine shown, just in "yellow / green-series" bird, below):
Budgy02-2011_0006e-sm.jpg

Enjoy!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow! He is stunning! I'm not that great with mutations anymore, but it looks like you've already got an answer. Even though he's not a true rainbow budgie, I just wanted to say that he is beautiful.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
So if my new budgie is really a spangle, then he could have chicks that are blue with spangle wings (depending on what color his girlfriend has)? :cool:
If his mate is green not split to blue, then all chicks will be green split to blue.
If his mate is green split to blue, then 50% of the chicks will be green split to blue and 50% will be blue.
If his mate is blue, then all chicks will be blue.

If his mate is not spangle, then 50% of the chicks will be spangle and 50% will not be spangle.
If his mate is spangle, then 25% of the chicks will be double factor spangle (with the spangle masking all body color), 50% will be spangle and 25% will not be spangle.
See http://www.***************/gen_spangle.html for spangle genetics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.