Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She is a Df dominant pied or combination pied, she looks like she could also be opaline :) With so few markings it is hard to be completely sure without breeding.

She ooks like she has had her first moult so she could be 3 months or older. Unless she develops iris rings you can never really know for sure.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is a Df dominant pied or combination pied, she looks like she could also be opaline :) With so few markings it is hard to be completely sure without breeding.

She ooks like she has had her first moult so she could be 3 months or older. Unless she develops iris rings you can never really know for sure.
Actually this is what confuses me. She does look like she has gone through her first moult but her eyes are so dark and clear! No sign of even faint iris rings at all. All the birds I've seen with her in the cage were around the same age and even those had slight visible iris rings, which is why I thought she's a Recessive Pied.

Her primary flight feathers look clear to me, so does it mean she could be part Clearflight Pied too?

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Actually this is what confuses me. She does look like she has gone through her first moult but her eyes are so dark and clear! No sign of even faint iris rings at all. All the birds I've seen with her in the cage were around the same age and even those had slight visible iris rings, which is why I thought she's a Recessive Pied.

Her primary flight feathers look clear to me, so does it mean she could be part Clearflight Pied too?
Well there could be a number of things causing it ;)

Some babies moult earlier than others, I have had babies start at 8 weeks and this could be the case with her she could be younger than we normally think of for a first moult :)

She could also be a combination of recessive pied and dominant pied, this would cause her to not have the iris rings but still have less markings than a normal recessive pied.

She could also be a df dominant pied that is split for recessive pied, being split for recessive pied can cause them to not develop iris rings like normal too.

Breeding is the only way to know for sure sometimes :)

Here is a cobalt violet opaline df dominant pied cinnamon. Many df dominant pieds are mistaken for recessive pieds, she could very well be the same and just be split for recessive pied or be to young for her iris rings yet-

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much!

Thanks for explaining. I guess pied mutations are more complex than I had imagined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.