Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Eyes are red.

I think she just ha dirty feathers, Vanilla did too and replaced them with bright white feathers after her moult.

But someone thinks she is a fallow, but then I'd see some brown stripes and body slight colour...

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
I can't quite decide if she's really dirty or actually has colour on her feathers :S

Will be interested in what she looks like after a moult.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think she's albino. Fallow budgies have blue cheek patches, not white.

Why is she so dirty? Has she been taking dust baths? My chickens get that dirty easily but I've never had a budgie that dirty.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
If that's dirt, she's applied it very strategically - the markings on her wings are almost identical bilaterally.
That is a good observation. Maybe they are wing markings indeed :)
I also don't see red eyes on that budgie from those pictures which would eliminate the possiblity of albino :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think she may be a dark fawn(cinnamon) pied rather then albino, that is very well placed for being dirt. The dusting on the head and brown flights i would say have to do with a combination of mutations. Also, in cockatiels i know that Pied mixed with certain mutations can achieve an oddly colored eye in the bird such as whiteface mixed with lutino and pied makes a blue eyed cockatiel.

Is it possible for her to be an albino with cinnamon in her? i don't know how it affects budgies..i know cockatiel genetics..?

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
I think she may be a dark fawn(cinnamon) pied rather then albino, that is very well placed for being dirt. The dusting on the head and brown flights i would say have to do with a combination of mutations. Also, in cockatiels i know that Pied mixed with certain mutations can achieve an oddly colored eye in the bird such as whiteface mixed with lutino and pied makes a blue eyed cockatiel.

Is it possible for her to be an albino with cinnamon in her? i don't know how it affects budgies..i know cockatiel genetics..?
A cinnamon Ino would be a Lacewing, I don't see the cinnamon spots or correct markings for a Lacewing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If that's dirt, she's applied it very strategically - the markings on her wings are almost identical bilaterally.
That's why I asked if she took a dust bath - when my chickens bathe, they can distribute the dirt quite symmetrically, just like that bird. :) Seems odd that a budgie would be taking a dust bath at all though.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I see a little blue, too, on the tail feathers and on one upper leg, although it could just be the photo and/or my computer. The eyes look plum, not red.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If she has red eyes she could be a recessive pied fallow
I see a little blue, too, on the tail feathers and on one upper leg, although it could just be the photo and/or my computer. The eyes look plum, not red.
That's why I asked if she took a dust bath - when my chickens bathe, they can distribute the dirt quite symmetrically, just like that bird. :) Seems odd that a budgie would be taking a dust bath at all though.
The owner says the budgie plays on the floor a lot and the maid catches her with her dirty hands, and the bird rolls around on the floor (wonder how dirty the floor could be but lol)

The blue is the suffusion in lighting, as the owner claims that the blue shows up during camera flash, but she's just white with no markings at all.
The bird is 5 months old, the owner bred her parents.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
The owner says the budgie plays on the floor a lot and the maid catches her with her dirty hands, and the bird rolls around on the floor (wonder how dirty the floor could be but lol)

The blue is the suffusion in lighting, as the owner claims that the blue shows up during camera flash, but she's just white with no markings at all.
The bird is 5 months old, the owner bred her parents.
If she is white with no markings it is an albino.

What are the parents? Can you get their mutations for us or a picture of them?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If she is white with no markings it is an albino.

What are the parents? Can you get their mutations for us or a picture of them?
I don't think it had an albino parent...but since this is a female, the dad could have been split to ino.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Have you seen this bird in person? The brown does not look like dirt to me. I would trust you over the bird's owner whether the markings we see are real or dirt -- but don't tell the owner that! :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Its hard to tell I have tried too look at the photo and compare with Lilly (when she is not hanging upside down from the roof of the cage lol).
If the makings on her flight feathers are dirt and bad lighting and she is white all over then i would say Albino otherwise i would not know.:)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you seen this bird in person? The brown does not look like dirt to me. I would trust you over the bird's owner whether the markings we see are real or dirt -- but don't tell the owner that! :)
Nope, I haven't seen her in person. The owner says she's that dirty. lol

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Maybe you could ask the owner to send a photo after she has taken a bath. That way, if the markings change, we know that it's dirt. If they remain the same, then they are true markings.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe you could ask the owner to send a photo after she has taken a bath. That way, if the markings change, we know that it's dirt. If they remain the same, then they are true markings.
I doubt that'll help, because Vanilla (my albino) had similar dirty feathers when I bought her (although not all over the body like that) and even after washing her, those dirt didn't go away.

They were replaced by clear feathers after her moult.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well regardless, she's a very pretty bird! Her markings are so interesting I almost want them to not be her and NOT dirt! I vote for sticking her in a sink of water and Dawn and see what comes out! :tapedshut: Since that's unlikely to happen, I'll settle for being kept posted on how this all resolves! :giggle:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.