Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to do something to help Sky out? Her beak looks a little long and she doesn’t seem interested at all in the cuttlebone. She recently started biting the bar of the cage, but other budgies I have had seem to do the same? Do I need to take her to the vet for a trim? If not, when is it necessary? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. No negative comments please.

Attachments

·
Administrator
59,209 Posts
The beak looks a bit long but not too bad at this point. Is she able to eat with no problem?
If so, you can leave it for a little while but if you notice it getting longer still then I'd definitely take her in for a trim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The beak looks a bit long but not too bad at this point. Is she able to eat with no problem?
If so, you can leave it for a little while but if you notice it getting longer still then I'd definitely take her in for a trim.
Trust me (lol), Sky has no problem eating. Thanks for your input. It looks long to me too, but isn’t problematic at this point. I’ll keep an eye on it. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How can I prevent this happening to my birds, as a trip to the vet isn't possible. I give them plenty of soft shreddable toys and they have natural perches that they grind their beaks on. Is this enough to keep their beaks healthy?

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
Generally speaking beak length is not a problem, if you can also provide something such as a cuttle bone and mineral block that would give additional surfaces for them to use. Beak overgrowth can be a problem with certain disorders such as fatty liver, for some undetermined reason it can cause the beak and nails to grow at a rapid rate. I have this issue with one of my birds that has to go to the vet every 2 weeks for a beak trim. Beaks have a lot of nerves in them and also blood sources so it is not advisable to ever trim them on your own as it could cause great harm to the bird if not done correctly. In the case of a bird with a liver issue it is even more dangerous because liver issues can effect the ability of blood to clot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.