Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My friend and I are going on a trip. It will be anywhere from 7-10 hours in a car, and we are staying in a cabin for a week. She is ordering a small carrier for the trip, and wants to know if this carrier:
Is safe for her Cockatiel. Thanks, any advice appreciated.
(By the way, yes we will have a larger cage for when we get there, this is just a car cage)

·
Registered
228 Posts
1st carrier link-
It isn't safe for a budgie. You can use it for larger small to medium birds but even then you have to block off the holes to the door which are about an inch wide in some places.

I own this carrier and use it for my cockatiel but I would never ever put a budgie in there. The actual bar spacing on the carrier is a small fraction less then 3/4's probably closer to 7/10th of an inch. We used a a larger foraging toy on the door frame to block the really large holes.

ETA:
2nd carrier link-
I also own the red carrier and the spacing is all a 1/2 inch or less except for one slightly larger hole in the center of the lid. I blocked that hole with tape. I will warn you my budgie hates that carrier because it is dark and small. I finally stopped using it because trying to get him in there was such a power struggle. Now, I just use a small cage for transport if I can't take his current cage, no more power struggles. My cockatiel cannot fit in this carrier because his tail is too long.

How about something like this? Petco parakeet cage It has a large door and a carrier handle with a few small renovations it would be a great sleep/travel cage. If the tiel is going to spend a majority of the day in the cage I would look for a slightly bigger travel cage maybe a 16x16 so he won't be too cramped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! :D I will tell my friend that the first one and the link you sent me are both good.
I appreciate this a lot, thanks again. :3

Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which one is best? If I got the last one could I leave it in the cage during the week instead of bringing another? we would still take it out of the cage to play with it. Advice? Thanks

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
While some of the other's would work, I would prefer the last one myself. It is very small though and I would take a cage along for when you arrive at destination unless you are going to have the bird out most of the day...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.