Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,this is a chick from my last clutch.She's a dark green opaline I believe.I noticed a lot of blue on her chest.This picture was taken with a flash and the blue looks brighter here in this picture.Is it rare for a green budgie to show so much blue?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Flecking in chicks body color isn't rare at all. After the chick molts for the first time the body color should become more solid. What is the color under the chicks wings? I have heard that you can tell a gold face blue bird from a green bird. Blue under the wings is a gold face blue and green is well green.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's green under her wings.Dad is opaline light green and mum is cobalt violet spangle cinnamon.the other 3 chicks are yf blue.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
This is one of my yellowface blues, you can see the blue which is under the wing here proving it is a blue bird:

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

·
Registered
281 Posts
my guess is that either mom or dad must be SF YF (or DF in mom,being blue bird not notice - DF=white head)...to have got siblings with YF...

..making this baby a green-series bird /(splt) for blue..

...I may be imagining, but I think I see opaline in baby..so it could be a hen!..

#whilst on topic of "below-wing base-colour markings"...

...question I have is:
"doesn't YF affect the "green-looking birds" at all in sense,that the blue-below-wings colour becomes "green" (seafoam)?

PS-wouldn't dad of this baby need to be green/blue,to have had 3 siblings (high percentage) in blue-series?...(blue, being recessive to green)..
- dad could also hide the YF gene, given it's normal "green+yellow head" colour(in green & yellow-series bird).

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
#whilst on topic of "below-wing base-colour markings"...

...question I have is:
"doesn't YF affect the "green-looking birds" at all in sense,that the blue-below-wings colour becomes "green" (seafoam)?
I don't understand what you mean by yf affecting the green-looking birds?

A yellowface type 2 blue series bird retains the blue feathering under the wing even when the rest of the body colour is seafoam green like in the pictures I posted, you can clearly see the blue under the wing.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
This is very interesting to me as I just saw what I thought was a dark green budgie at the pet shop. It turned around and it was BLUE! It's rump was green, but it's chest was blue. It, too, was a golden face....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a picture of her underwing.It's almost all green.I believe that dad is split yf2 giving the 3 blue chicks a yellow face and this one is a dark green.when mum was paired to another **** I got many blues and none were yf.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by yf affecting the green-looking birds?

A yellowface type 2 blue series bird retains the blue feathering under the wing even when the rest of the body colour is seafoam green like in the pictures I posted, you can clearly see the blue under the wing.
I think what Nazvolt showed, is exactly what I meant by my question...

...apart from the norm (as shown by "CaptainHowdy"), wouldn't there be any deviations from the "norm" found.....

...as I've got a YF T2 bird that appear to be "all-yellow" (maybe even DF Spangle-"yellow").. but he gave me mostly blue chicks (breed-nest setup, NOT COLONY BREEDING!, as other posts here at TB)...but I'll take a picture of "colour below wings"...just to make sure, as I thought it had blue below wings (but I could be wrong)...

...thus my question above, from "this bird I have" that may deviate from the "norm"...

let's see, but the Nazvolt bird is interesting? ...any ideas, what happened here?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi All,

Having had little time since the above post on TB/Internet- although I had a quick peek under his wings (IT TURNED OUT TO BE YELLOW!)...I could unfortunately not get a picture of the BELOW-WING-COLOUR of "Milky Way" in time, the "YF2 bird" I've referred to in above - before he died...

...the last photo I do have & I did manage to take before him passing away was this one:
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Organism

Older photos are:
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Cockatoo

From these photos I'm certain that I can visually tell that :
a) YF is present, but unsure what type? (except from breeding of course);
b) He has very lightly -marked "blue-ish" spangle markings....he is father of many a blue-series bird with such light-markings (that incorrectly led me to think these babies were "clearwings") - with a high-percentage > 50% babies with grey markings;
c) He carries the grey factor...refer grey markings next to "green-breast" colour;
d) The green may indicate a green-series bird, but the vent area shows blue markings;
e) clear flights may just refer to /confirm the spangle gene?

From test breeding (with at least 3 hens, all blue-series) I know that:
1) he must be close-to "DF Spangle", as almost 90% of ~ 35babies were Spangle Blues (another reason I thought he was "blue-series, with only YF affecting the body colour);
2) he carries violet - maybe retrospectively visible from the vivid blue "spangle-wing" & "vent-area" blue markings;
3) given above items (1) & (2), I thought he was a blue(white)-series, that was until both his daughter (Velvet) & Grand-daughter (Star-light) came out almost (except for grey markings) DF Spangle BUT IN YELLOW!
4) He I thought, given the YF T2 babies & the yellow+green mixture, was YF T2...but maybe not, given strong-deep almost "golden-face"-type yellow in mask....maybe he was YF T1 (thus not spreading into body colour)?!

Your views on this bird's genetics (visually of course & given test breeding from breeding cage noted) will be great to confirm my suspicions!

Would you consider such a bird a "mixture spangle", given that he has so faint spangle markings and is almost DF Yellow?

Thanks for your time...!
jacodk

PS-He is also in my signature on right...a beautiful bird lost!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.