Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Window Beak Pet supply Parrot

Bird Vertebrate Beak Parrot Pet supply

I only my had them 3 days and they don't really like each other. In the evening the ceres looks more blue but in direct sun I start to have doubts. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
59,173 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

The green budgie is a male.
I cannot see the cere of the other budgie.
For determining gender, we need full frontal pictures of the cere. The pictures should be taken in natural light with no flash and no direct sunlight as both wash out the color of the cere in the pictures.

What are the budgies' names?

What size cage do you have them in? Please provide Length, Width and Height
What do you mean by "they really don't like each other"? Are they fighting?
Did you get them from the same place?

Please remove the mirror from the birds' cage
It is not recommended to have mirrors in your birds' cage as interacting with the mirror can contribute to your budgies becoming aggressive and/or territorial.
Additionally, some budgies will begin regurgitating to the mirror to the point where they actually become malnourished. You would be better off to give him shredding toys instead.

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
Bumblefoot
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sky-blue and white is definitely a female. They are called Jeffrey and Julie.
I got them from the same pet store. They don't fight, no, but they push each other away from the seeds - of course if one wants seeds the other would quickly follow. I mean they don't really like each other as they don't feed each other and Julie was obsessed with her own reflection so I removed the mirror as you suggested. Will also find them some nice natural branches today and replace the perches. Is it better across the cage or more on sides?
The cage is 35 x 45 x 90cm.
Thank you for your advise.

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,285 Posts
I do not believe that your cage is an adequate size for two budgies.
Bigger is always better in this case.
Here is an example of a cage that's a great size for two budgies:

Pet supply Line Rectangle Parallel Gas

Reiterating what FaeryBee had to say above :)
Essentials to a Great Cage

I would arrange your perches on the front and back of the cage, but near the sides. You want to leave a good glide-path in the middle of the cage so that they can fly back-and-forth from the perches, lengthwise.

Also, you will want to have multiple feeding stations if one, or both, of them are resource protective. This way, you can ensure that they both always have access to food.

Please take a look at the "stickies" posted in each of the topic areas for a wealth of knowledge.
Here are a few to get you started!

Is My Bird Healthy?
Yes, Your Bird Needs to See a Vet

Clicker Training
Positive Reinforcement

Safe Foods

If you do indeed have a mixed pair of budgies, please do your best to prevent them from breeding:
Please Don’t Breed Your Birds
Coffee & Toast, Hold the Eggs

·
Administrator
59,173 Posts
How do you know the blue and white is definitely a female?
What color is the cere? If it is a deep pinkish-purple, then the budgie is a male.
Please post a full-frontal, close-up picture taken in natural light (no flash and no direct sunlight)

For the cage, width is more important than height. The cage pictured by Spicy above would be a good choice.

If you are planning to make perches yourself out of natural wood, you must be very careful to ensure the wood is non-toxic for your birds.

Safe Natural Wood for Budgies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.