Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my Budgies decided they wanted a bigger flock, so without consulting with me, they started a family. You can follow a little in mu Journal...Rocky and Adriene's Family....Any way...My hen Adriene is an Albino...My male is an Opaline Violet...they laid 7 eggs all hatched but only the first three survived past 48 hours...so i have three little chicks...doing great so far..."Chickie" who hatched 2/25 is albino like mom, The Kid who hatched the same day as Chickie...appears to be a Violet opaline like dad...Unc who hatched 2/27...has black and white wings coming in, some black in his tail feathers, but his body even what appear to be pin feathers seems all white, from what i have read this is the pied mutation...could one of the parents benn split for pied, i thought i read if they have the gene its visible...or could an albino be masking it? I have another male Apollo who is a dark grey, could a hen have chicks from two different fathrs in the same clutch..and could Unc possibly be a light grey appearing white at this young age? The only color i see in the tail is definitly black like the greys have...I'll try to post some pics later today, but its tough to get good ones the little buggers dont stay still long enough to take a pic of what you want to....

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Could be a texas clearbody :giggle: That is the only mutation I think of when people say black and white . It will be good when there is a picture... I am sure some breeders on here will figure out the mutation of your little bub

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Yes Albinos Mask almost all mutations
To be recessive pied Both parents can be split to Recessive pied or one split to recessive pied one being recessive pied

with dominant Pied only 1 parent has to have it IT CAN NOT BE SPLIT they would be visually Dominant Pied BUT since the mom is Albino she can be Dominant pied visually you just wouldn't see it (I have one)

yes a female can have babies in 1 clutch from Multiple dads (just like humans can)

the black /white markings doesn't mean its a Texas clear body(those are rare btw)

it's either a pied or a Normal Mutation

Normal blue series mutations have Black wings with White outlines

pictures help a lot :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Albinos Mask almost all mutations
To be recessive pied Both parents can be split to Recessive pied or one split to recessive pied one being recessive pied

with dominant Pied only 1 parent has to have it IT CAN NOT BE SPLIT they would be visually Dominant Pied BUT since the mom is Albino she can be Dominant pied visually you just wouldn't see it (I have one)

yes a female can have babies in 1 clutch from Multiple dads (just like humans can)

the black /white markings doesn't mean its a Texas clear body(those are rare btw)

it's either a pied or a Normal Mutation

Normal blue series mutations have Black wings with White outlines

pictures help a lot :)
thankyou very interesting...i know the normal blues would have the black white wings, the body on my youngest chick...hatched 2/27 doesn't seem to be showing any color at all...his bro/sis hatched 2/26 is showing either violet or blue body featheres and some dark blue tail feathers....the little guy...Unc's body seems all white, with the black and white wings, and only black tail feathers coming in...i will try to take a pic with a good view today or tommorrw, there are some pics from a few days ago in my breeding journal.."Rocky and Adrienes Family".......but cant really see any body color feathers on any of the babes...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics...

Ok the first two pics are The Kid.(hatched 2/26)..I believe he/she will be an opaline violet like dad...notice the body colored feathers and tail...the second two photos are Unc (Hatched 2/27)...i cant see any colored feathers other then black in the wings and the tail...all others including what i believe to be pin feathers look white like my third chick the oldest which is albino like the mom.
Do these pics help?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Ok the first two pics are The Kid.(hatched 2/26)..I believe he/she will be an opaline violet like dad...notice the body colored feathers and tail...the second two photos are Unc (Hatched 2/27)...i cant see any colored feathers other then black in the wings and the tail...all others including what i believe to be pin feathers look white like my third chick the oldest which is albino like the mom.
Do these pics help?
Wow, what cool colors! and very cute :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think I'll call it.... the Panda :D Both the parents must be split for Panda! Actualy it does look like a recessive pied :). What cute babies!! :loveeyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll call it.... the Panda :D Both the parents must be split for Panda! Actualy it does look like a recessive pied :). What cute babies!! :loveeyes:
LOL...like The Panda...but i named him Unc after my Uncle Pat...who had alot of birds, and started me likeng them when i was a kid..he'd have loved this whole baby budgie thing...so i named him Unc...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Do these pics help?
Looks dominant pied to me but the pic is a bit blurry

Sometimes the wing color comes in before the body color But if its a pied it would have mainly all white with some color around the neck , chest, or lower belly, and on the rump(the area above the tail where the feathers lay down when they're closed)

i've had many that the actual color was the last to show up

your first one does look Violet Opaline

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Do these pics help?
The first chick is opaline
The second chick is very obviously recessive pied. It looks like it could be opaline as well

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update..on this pretty little chick...

Well the little one...is now starting to show some color, he is definitely a pied, i believe recessive as his belly and rump are becoming predominantly colored feathers,....It could possibly be a mauve which im assuming an Albino and a Violet could easily produce. I however think it is more grey..could Albino mask Grey as well as the pied mutations? If so what a mixed budle my albino is...any help or input would be appreciated...i plan on taking some updated photos this weekend so stay tuned...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes an albino can mask grey. they are a blue series bird with the colour gone but are genetically are still one of the blue series colours which includes grey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.