Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I have a female budgie one year old and want to find out her genetics. As far as i have been able to find out she may be a violet spangle opaline or violet clearflight opaline. Does that make any sense is this a possible budgie type? also if she is either can she be bread with a yellowface type to to eventually create rainbow. thanx im new at this dont really understand genetics

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Both mutations are possible :)
A picture would help in confirming her mutation so we can tell you the outcomes for sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don t know very much,but i think rainbow it s an blue opaline clearwing or graywing with yellow face mutation,I m not sure there is spangle in the rainbow color,?someone else will help you sure

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
both those variety mixes are possible, and should look lovely!

a rainbow is a blue yellow face type 2 opaline clearwing. you would get a similar effect with a blue yf2 opaline spangle, it would look just as nice in my opinion but would not be what they call a rainbow. if you bred her with a yellow face then you could get that mix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these are my budgies, comet and bleach. bleach seems kind of blue in the pic but really she is more violet. The body color is mottled throughout the wings, but the flight feathers and also main tail feathers are all white, no violet or gray. Does anyone know what the genetics of her are. Also im pretty sure comet(the green one) is a green yellowface type two can anyone help me identify them please?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

i think comet is a cobalt yellow face 2... rather than a green.

bleach looks like a violet spangle opaline.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome thanks now could anyone tell me what their offspring might look like they are in love.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Just hope that your yellow face male is split for opaline because if he is you'd get: opaline, normal, spangle, opaline spangle, yellow face opaline, yellow face spangle, yellow face normal & yellow face opaline spangle. They would include all 3 shades of blue and half would have violet added

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Also, if the wings are clipped in such a way as to leave a single primary flight feather, this puts a lot of strain on those feathers which risk snapping in a way that can lead to a lot of blood loss. If possible, have someone clip the wing feathers so that the first 4 primary flight feathers are trimmed. I like to trim 3 primary flights, test the bird out to see its flying capability then trim the fourth primary on each wing and test the birds flying ability again. I believe even trimmed birds should have flight, but only enough to coast, steer and gain about 1-2 feet of height from the point of lift-off (eg ground) so that they can still get about if they wish but NOT get away from you. It is important that they are able to fly, phsyically and psychologically and it is also important to do it in a way that prevents undue strain on the bird (eg leaving a solitairy flight feather) or risks damaging it somehow (clipped too severely, leaving a bird unable to do anything but THUD).

Gorgeous birds tho :) Agree with Nev on the rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.