Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello! i recently noticed my female (presumably) budgie, Chip, has a scaly face with visible holes around her beak. I feel so terrible for not noticing this sooner, I feel so bad. I have researched this online and am pretty certain this is scaly face mites.

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

which treatment is best? I know ivermectin is good but I'm not quite sure how to apply it for certain. I've seen some places to apply on the beak and others on the back between wings or on the thigh.. I'm not quite sure. what should I do? visiting a vet isnt a viable option unless it's serious as I live far away from an exotic pet / avian vet.

any help is greatly appreciated!

thank you very much!!

· Super Moderator
6,238 Posts
Chip needs treatment right away, this will only get worse and can cause disfigurement, the ivermectin I know of is put on the skin between the shoulders, do you have the product, there should be directions on it, make sure you know how much your bird weighs as it may be needed to determine how much of the medication to use. If you have other birds you will need to treat them as well.

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Chip has a very advanced case of scaly face mites and she (yes, she is a female) needs to be treated as soon as possible.

The proper medication to use is either ivermectin spot on treatment or Scatt For Birds spot on treatment.
One drop of the medication is placed on the skin between the feathers on the back of the neck at the neck's base.

Avimec - Ivermectin for Budgies

Scatt for Birds

Because Chip's case is so advanced, you will probably need to do a second dosage 14 days after the first.

If you have other birds, ALL of them will need to be treated.

Please be sure to update us on Chip's progress in recovery on this thread after you have treated her.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Chip has a very advanced case of scaly face mites and she (yes, she is a female) needs to be treated as soon as possible.

The proper medication to use is either ivermectin spot on treatment or Scatt For Birds spot on treatment.
One drop of the medication is placed on the skin between the feathers on the back of the neck at the neck's base.

Scatt for Birds

Because Chip's case is so advanced, you will probably need to do a second dosage 14 days after the first.

Please be sure to update us on Chip's progress in recovery on this thread after you have treated her.

Quality Seed Mix
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Avian First Aid
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
thank you so much for the time you took to reply to me. i am getting ivermectin today, I'm going to the local pet store to buy avimec as soon as it opens (in one hour) and I will apply it. I will also be buying vitamin supplements to aid with her possible vitamin A deficiency. I have been trying to get her to eat a range of vegetables and pellets but I got her as a rescue and she has been eating seeds all her life so it's hard for here to transfer over to mainly pellets and veggies. she is on a high quality seed mix right now with vitamin supplements but I will also get supplements to complement this. I already cleaned her cage with vinegar.

I will update her progress here, and in the mean time read all the articles you have linked and educate myself on any issues. I feel terrible for not knowing this earlier and leaving the mites to hurt her more. I will watch closely for any symptoms of illnesses in the future to prevent this from ever happening again.

thank you for your help!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Scatt for Birds

Quality Seed Mix
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Avian First Aid
Quarantine Your Birds
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
I applied the ivermectin but I'm afraid it might've not gotten on her skin because her feathers on her back at very fluffy and hard to pull back to find the skin. I rubbed it in though so hopefully it gets in contact with her skin.

the packaging says to apply weekly so I will continue to do this until I start seeing results and I will go from there. I hope Chip gets better soon! right now she is sitting in her cage rather shocked from being grabbed as she isn't very tame yet.

I will update the situation as it progresses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts