Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toby have been with me for 4 months since I captured him from the wild on 31May2010. He is now the casanova for each of my flock. Every budgie likes to bond with him.

Now the question. Is he an opaline or a normal ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Squeak! All of my budgies have those markings, three of which are definitely not split opaline.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Now I get it. Thanks, Squeak_Crumble. Long time no see.
Very Long Time! :D I explained in my answer below.

Hi Squeak! All of my budgies have those markings, three of which are definitely not split opaline.
Do you know what marking I am talking about?

A tell tale sign of an opaline budgie is a small patch on their flight feathers. After I bred a bird that look half normal and half opaline, Me and my club came to the conclusion that it was a horribly marked opaline ( No V at all, but no flecking) .

If you look at your birds flight feathers, further up near the secondaries ( I think their called) there is almost a finger smudge, on a cinnamon bird it turns up a pale fawn colour, on a normal I would assume a greyish colour or suffused of the body colour. The reason I ams lightly confused about your birds is it appears normal, but has a small patch on it's wing that should make it an opaline. Sometimes birds split for a variety have some of the characteristics of the variety they are split for.

Here is a picture of an opaline, with the bar circled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Sophie. The trademark patch in the flight feathers of opalines is a tell-tale sign similar to the clear head patches to identify dominant pieds and clearflight pieds. Great explanations by you. The hen is very beautiful, what is her name ?

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Thanks, Sophie. The trademark patch in the flight feathers of opalines is a tell-tale sign similar to the clear head patches to identify dominant pieds and clearflight pieds. Great explanations by you. The hen is very beautiful, what is her name ?
Sorry I couldnt help more. :( I will try get some pictures of my cinnamon **** with the confusing marking tommorrow :)

I stopped naming my birds after the first 20 :p She is one of my few pet-type breeders.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A lot of mine that are not opaline also have that mark. It doesn't mean anything
that is interesting nev. i understood it was a defining feature of the opaline mutation in all the parrot species that have the opaline variety...

i know that normals usually have at stripe on the flight feathers that is sometimes visible at rest, like the budgie this thread is about, but not the larger blotch right on the outer flight feathers like opalines have. the normal stripe seems to not be on the outer feathers and is less obvious.

i will have to look further into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.