Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, sky blue normal ****, split for recessive pied and YF2, has produced nothing but YF2 babies (10 out of 10) ... with two different hens. Will all his progeny be YF2?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If greens are usually dominant so ive heard.
Blue cant be spilt for green... But
I thought YF2 was a blue that turns green?
Gosh sorry if I dont help, hopefully someone comes along.

Looka t my siz. Pez the aqua one... He's YF2..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If he is a white face and he is producing all yellowfaces then they will be type one, and he will be a double factor type 1 yellowface (having a white face). That or its the hen.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh yes, Dean, I do remember you telling me that last year. :hammer:

Here he is again (see picture). The puzzling thing is he is white face (or DF YF1), but he has produced nothing but YF2 chicks with TWO hens! Does this mean BOTH the hens (cobalt dilute and cobalt opaline spangle dominant pied) are split for YF2? If so, that seems to be quite a coincidence.

Also, to modify my initial question a little, if a budgie is split for YF2, will all his/her progeny be YF2? In other words, is YF2 so dominant so as to produce nothing but YF2s?

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yellowface is dominant. If he has been paired to two different white faced hens and had all Yellowface chicks, he is most likely a double factor Yellowface, meaning both his parents were YF.
As YF is dominant, they cannot be split for it. They are either blue and have a yellow face, (single factor yellowface)
They are blue and have a white face but have all YF young (they are then double factor yellowface)
Or they are blue and have a white face, have no YF chicks, and are not Yellowface nor split for it and will never have Yf young even if one of their parents were YF.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yellowface is dominant. If he has been paired to two different white faced hens and had all Yellowface chicks, he is most likely a double factor Yellowface, meaning both his parents were YF.
As YF is dominant, they cannot be split for it. They are either blue and have a yellow face, (single factor yellowface)
They are blue and have a white face but have all YF young (they are then double factor yellowface)
Or they are blue and have a white face, have no YF chicks, and are not Yellowface nor split for it and will never have Yf young even if one of their parents were YF.
Thanks, Jen!

OK, so Mr. Blue is not split for YF; he is sky blue DF YF normal split for recessive pied. And both his parents were YF.

I'm still confused, though. Dean says a DF YF1 cannot produce YF2 chicks, and there is no such mutation as DF YF2. Do you agree?

In summary, here's what I've gotten so far:
Mr. Blue (sky blue white face/DF YF normal split for recessive pied) + Nibbles (cobalt dilute white face/DF YF) = 8 YF2 babies.
and
Mr. Blue (sky blue white face/DF YF normal split for recessive pied) + Noelle (cobalt opaline spangle white face/DF YF dominant pied) = 2 YF2 babies.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yellow face type 1 is typically restricted to the face and sometimes the wings/tails.

Yellowface type 2 is present throughout the body, creating seafoam green and lime green in sky blues and cobalts respectively.

I dont want to get complicated, but while a yellowface type 2 can technically be carrying yellowface type one, the yellowface type 2 gene is dominant so the bird would still appear to be a normal yellowface type 2. There is no masking yellowface type 2.

So if a blue **** bird with a white face is producing all yellowface chicks, they can only be yellowface type one UNLESS the hen is a yellowface type 2. Since all his chicks have been yellowface with different hens it is likely that HE is the double factor yellowface type 1 and all his chicks are single factor yellowface type 1's.

You can get double factor yellowface type 2's, but they are still yellow not white.

Technically yellowface type 1 is not dominant, it is a combination of two different alleles which - when combined - allow the production of yellow pigment. If it were truly a dominant gene, then double factor yellowface type 1's would still be yellow. But they are not. Therefore it is a combination variety much like a fullbody color greywing (one greywing gene, one clearwing gene).
People confuse it as being a dominant gene but if you read about the genetics, you will see how this confusion arises.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So if a blue **** bird with a white face is producing all yellowface chicks, they can only be yellowface type one UNLESS the hen is a yellowface type 2. Since all his chicks have been yellowface with different hens it is likely that HE is the double factor yellowface type 1 and all his chicks are single factor yellowface type 1's.
All 9 of his babies (7 with one hen and 2 with the other) are YF2, i.e., they are yellow throughout their bodies.

Here's a picture of my flock (4 adults and 9 YF2 babies). The mother hens are cobalt dilute (front row, second bird) and cobalt opaline spangle dominant pied (comfy perch swing). The second picture is the dad.

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
YF 2 are birds with yellow faces and a seafoam green color in their body feathers.
Alot of your babies do not look YF2 to me.
I think the seafoam green comes from sky blue YF2. Since mine are cobalt YF2, the YF2 is less obvious.

The first two close-up pictures are Ben and Jerry (from Mr. Blue and Nibbles' first clutch). Do you see faint yellow tint on bodies? They also have faint yellow tint on wings.

The third picture is Parker (bird on right, from Mr. Blue and Noelle's clutch). He has faint yellow tint on body and wings.

The fourth picture is Parker's brother, Brett (from Mr. Blue and Noelle's clutch). (He's also the left bird in third picture.) He has a more pronounced cobalt YF2 on rump spot (because his yellow is darker).

Do you still think the normals pictured (Ben, Jerry, Parker) are YF1? What about the dominant pied (Brett)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Nope, she is right. YF2 would make any blue turn green - the seafoam green IS for skyblue, but YF2 cobalts make a lime green. There is no way a DF YF1 can produce a YF2, let alone 9. Genetically and mathematically this all points to the **** being a double factor yellowface type 1 and all his chicks being single factor yellowface type 1's. If there is yellow in the body but not a greeny blue, then that only adds to the YF1 arguement, not a YF2 arguement :)

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, Dean, after beating me over the head :hammer: all these months, you have finally convinced me my juveniles are YF1, not YF2 ... even though all have yellow bodies.

Does Brett's rump patch (Post #10 4th picture) look sky blue, or cobalt, to you? (His dad is sky blue-based and his mom is cobalt-based -- see pics below.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Incredibly hard to tell with no tail feather colour or chest colouration, but Im fairly confident in saying it appears cobalt in that picture.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, Dean. :urock:

Here are Brett's younger siblings from another clutch (ages 21-28 days). One is the spittin' image of Brett, except the younger one's cheek patches are violet whereas Brett's are clear. Is the younger guy sky blue or cobalt?

Attachments

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
wow i was reading this thread and my head is about to explode :eek:

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
Don't you love all the fun surprises :) Your babies and parents are beautiful :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Thanks, Dean. :urock:

Here are Brett's younger siblings from another clutch (ages 21-28 days). One is the spittin' image of Brett, except the younger one's cheek patches are violet whereas Brett's are clear. Is the younger guy sky blue or cobalt?
Top one is sky blue, bottom one is cobalt. The one on the left I cant see any more than a spec of colour, but I would just take a stab at that and say cobalt.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Top one is sky blue, bottom one is cobalt. The one on the left I cant see any more than a spec of colour, but I would just take a stab at that and say cobalt.
Thanks again, Dean. :D

Yes, the other two chicks definitely are cobalt (you can see more pics at Post #70 here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=44562&page=2), and I'm glad you agree Brett's younger, nearly identical sibling is sky blue. I think Brett also is sky blue, because his rump patch is much lighter than all his siblings' cobalts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.