Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've clicker trained and target trained my budgie. He gets active during training (moving around, responsive). Also, he isn't tamed yet so he gets nervous whenever anyone comes near the cage. But he DOES eat from my hands and I've been training him to step up. I've seen other budgies hop around in their cages and move here and there. Coco only stays in one place. Barely moves. He only eats his food when he is starving or when I bring the food close to him. He would start chirping loudly (I suspect he's hungry), sometimes he makes the move to eat, sometimes he stays on his perch. I try to target train him to go down on his own, but he's too scared to take that move.

He stays in our living room and there are people constantly in the room. It's not too noisy or busy. And he seems to be okay. He preens himself, he takes little naps, he drinks his water, he chews on his cuttle bone. But he doesn't hop around and isn't too active. Also his cage is quite small. Could this be the reason? (I'm planning on getting him to a bigger cage once I tame him and once he's comfortable- but it's taking longer than I expected).

Also his poop was normal, but ever since I've been trying to get him to eat chop and sprouted seeds, and I bought him a seed mix from the petshop and mixed it in with his older seed mix, he poops less and he had darker poops. I've heard this is due to the diet change. And yet, he eats the food when I give it to him by hand (which I'm doing quite often now in fear that he is starving himself).

Does anyone else experience this kind of behavior? Is it driven by fear and I just have to keep working on taming him? Should I suspect him to be sick? Did I introduce new food at the wrong time? Should I get him a bigger cage now? Or probably get him a partner?

I appreciate any wise advice and help! Thank you!

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
If the cage is very small then the budgie really doesn't have room to play.
For a single bird, I would not recommend a cage smaller than 76 cm Long by 46 cm wide by 46 cm high.

Your budgie need to have toys in the cage, a swing and plenty of room to play.

Essentials to a Great Cage

I recommend you get a larger cage now rather than waiting.

If you move him into larger cage and he is still very quiet then he may need a same species friend and be allowed to just be a bird.

If you do get another budgie, I recommend getting one of the same gender.
Please be sure to observe quarantine for the new budgie.
Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

Quarantine IS Necessary!

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Tips For Discouraging Breeding

Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Dangers to Pet Birds

Resource Directory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much FaeryBee! I'll get Coco a new and better cage. He's eating better today, I mashed in some hard boiled egg and carrots into his seed mix. How do you suggest I transfer him to his new cage? He's still fearful of hands and doesn't really go out of the cage.

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
To make it less stressful for your budgie, (name?) take everything out of their current cage except for one perch.

Set up the new cage and include a favorite treat, such as some millet.
Put the two cages side by side with the doors open and facing one another.

Stand back and let the budgie move of his own accord. This may take some time, but when he gets hungry or thirsty he'll move over into the new cage to eat and drink.

Let us know how it goes for you.
Best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

It's great to have you here with us!

Meanwhile, you've been given great advice and resources above by FaeryBee and I agree with her completely. Please be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies" to ensure you're up to date on everything!

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around!

Cheers 👋

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi just an update! So I was able to find a cage with the recommended size (30in x 18in). I'm just waiting for my dad to have the time to pick it up. I'll also be getting him perches and toys.

Currently working on Coco's diet with the seed mix he came with (Coco's originally my aunt's bird but she was allergic to the dander so she gave him to me). I've been trying to get him to eat veggies and greens. So I mashed up some brocolli with banana mixed in with his seeds as a starter. He loved it and was digging in. But it got his beak messy (banana and seed mush) and it dried up pretty quick. I tried removing it gently with my finger while he stands still on his perch- but it hardened pretty good. He's still scared of people. How do you suggest I clean it? Do you think he could clean it off himself?

I put water and green on his bowl to encourage him to bath- but apparently he's too scared. Is this something I should worry about?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really grateful for the advice btw. I don't think I gave a proper thank you. So thank you. If ever Coco stays quiet and inactive even after upgrading his cage with all the essentials suggested on the link- I'll take your advice to give him a partner. Hopefully I could get another male. Not too keen on breeding.

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
Hi just an update! So I was able to find a cage with the recommended size (30in x 18in). I'm just waiting for my dad to have the time to pick it up. I'll also be getting him perches and toys.

Currently working on Coco's diet with the seed mix he came with (Coco's originally my aunt's bird but she was allergic to the dander so she gave him to me). I've been trying to get him to eat veggies and greens. So I mashed up some brocolli with banana mixed in with his seeds as a starter. He loved it and was digging in. But it got his beak messy (banana and seed mush) and it dried up pretty quick. I tried removing it gently with my finger while he stands still on his perch- but it hardened pretty good. He's still scared of people. How do you suggest I clean it? Do you think he could clean it off himself?

I put water and green on his bowl to encourage him to bath- but apparently he's too scared. Is this something I should worry about?
Coco will ultimately clean his beak off himself - it may take some time as the feathers around the beak are hard for him to reach.
Since he's still afraid of you, I wouldn't try to remove the mess from his feathers. If he wasn't afraid, you could use a bit of warm water to loosen the residue.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

Some budgies enjoy bathing and others don't.

There are various things you can try. You may also find they ignore the bath for a long time and then suddenly one will decide to try it and then they'll all like it!
I'd suggest you either put a shallow bowl with water in or on top the cage or get a Lix-it Bath to attach to the cage and provide them the option of bathing every few days.
You can also try placing a few fresh basil leaves or some lettuce leaves in the water. That may interest them in the bath.
Some budgies love to rub against or roll on wet leaves.
You can hang wet romaine lettuce or kale leaves in the cage or place them in a shallow dish in or on the cage to see if your budgies like them.

Some budgies enjoy being very lightly misted with room temperature water.

Do NOT squirt the water directly on the budgie.
Aim it up into the air and let the water mist settle down over the budgie gently.
You should be able to easily tell if he likes it or doesn't want any part of it.
Some budgies do enjoy playing under a light trickle of water in the sink.

Other budgies simply don't enjoy bathing which is fine as all budgies are cleaning and oiling their feathers when they preen.

If your budgie is shaking his head, tail and feet after he’s been in the water, that’s quite normal. It’s like a dog shaking after it gets wet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey! So just an update. We’ve finally upgraded Coco’s cage a few weeks ago. It’s still deficient of perches and toys but we’re working on that.

He’s still not tamed. He would step up willingly for food, he could tap on the bell when told, he’s hopped on the perches.. but still inactive and fearful of his surroundings.

Look at the poor bird’s posture. He looks terrified. Working on convincing my parents to get him a buddy, but not so successful at the moment since they thought the cage was enough. I can buy him things with my own money but I can’t go to certain places without my parents (which explains the convincing dilemma).

I stopped introducing chop for awhile since I was so keen on getting him used to his surroundings. But I do hang lettuce or spinach in the mornings.

That’s the update so far. Still patiently waiting for him to loosen up. I’m planning to get him a male roomie soon in hopes to get him more relaxed and happy. That’s all!

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
The bird does not look well to me, I can see he is molting but what is wrong with the wings, or is it just the picture? I zoomed in on the picture and it seems that he is missing feathers from around his eye, is that correct? When I zoom in the picture gets blurry but it also looks like there may be something not right with the cere and beak, can you post a clear frontal picture of him so we can get a good look at his face. It also seems that the bars of the cage are corroded, the bars do not look clean, did you buy this as a brand new cage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, I'll send a frontal view and a picture of his wings in a bit. Yes, he does have missing feathers around his eyes. We bought this cage as a second hand and cleaned it by scrubbing bleach on the cage bars and thoroughly rinsed with warm water. I soaked the perches in warm water and vinegar, then soaked them again in pure water. Had them dried out in the sun.

The black parts were a bit hard to remove. Is there a way to remove it? I'm a bit worried now. Hope we didn't make a terrible mistake.

·
Super Moderator
3,848 Posts
The black parts are where the original finish has come off leaving the metal underneath to rust, this is not good if the bird chews on it he could end up with metal poisoning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the quick response. I’ve found an avian vet near our location but it will take some convincing.. I’ll do my best.

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
Try explaining it to your parents using this:

Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.
When a person"adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.
The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.

Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.
Giving the animal adequate medical care is integral part of providing it with a safe and loving home.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts