Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always called Wren a lutino, but not really sure.

He's got the red eyes, with a bright iris ring (this has me confused, do ino's have iris rings? my Albino doesnt???)

not really clear, but you can see better red in this one (baby pic from quarantine)

He's all yellow, but has a slight marking on the wing (lacewing???) with whitish flights (clear flight?)

you can see the light markings on this pic (camera doesnt always catch them)

You all know I can get some mutations, but when its a mix, i get all screwed up!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I am 100% guessing here.... YF2 Opaline Albino Double Factor Pied.

Or maybe...

YF2 Opaline Albino Clearflight Pied.

Or maybe...

YF2 Opaline Albino

Or maybe...

Clearflight Lutino

Or maybe....

;) I have no idea.

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any idea on the eyes? am i having a total brain ****, do ino's have iris rings, or is my albino hen the weird one?

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
Ino's DO have Iris rings.

I'm taking a guess here and going to say Lacewing.

LACEWING.The Redeyed Lacewing, a bird that has cinnamon-brown markings on head, neck, mantle and wings,and a clear body colour which can be either yellow or white.Well defined cinnamon coloured spots are also present,the feet and legs are pink and the cocks cere will be flesh coloured similar to the Inos.

Looking over at my Lutino, she has no marking at all except for her silver/white cheek patches. She does however have the clear flight feathers too.

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ino's DO have Iris rings.

I'm taking a guess here and going to say Lacewing.

LACEWING.The Redeyed Lacewing, a bird that has cinnamon-brown markings on head, neck, mantle and wings,and a clear body colour which can be either yellow or white.Well defined cinnamon coloured spots are also present,the feet and legs are pink and the cocks cere will be flesh coloured similar to the Inos.

Looking over at my Lutino, she has no marking at all except for her silver/white cheek patches. She does however have the clear flight feathers too.
Thank you! now do all ino's have rings, do they vary in intensity? As my albino hen, you cant see a ring.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
One of my lutinos has very light markings but I'm sure that it is just a lutino. It is possible that your bird is a poorly marked lacewing

Lutinos can mask a lot of other mutations so it could be that one is faintly showing through

Inos do have an iris ring so if your albino has no iris ring the albino mutation is probably masking recessive pied.

Flight feathers on a lutino are always lighter. A clearflight pied in the green series would have yellow flights

Have you bred from him? Breeding results are the most accurate way of checking mutations

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my lutinos has very light markings but I'm sure that it is just a lutino. It is possible that your bird is a poorly marked lacewing

Lutinos can mask a lot of other mutations so it could be that one is faintly showing through

Inos do have an iris ring so if your albino has no iris ring the albino mutation is probably masking recessive pied.

Flight feathers on a lutino are always lighter. A clearflight pied in the green series would have yellow flights

Have you bred from him? Breeding results are the most accurate way of checking mutations
Ahhh... so would she be called "spit to recessive" since she had no rings?

I havent bred from him... since i've lost a handful of birds this last year, I might breed some bugies this spring, i'll give him a shot. What type should i breed him with that the mom wouldn't affect the outcome?

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I don't know about the rest, but I am not seeing any blue to make yf2 a possibility. Pretty bird by the way.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Ahhh... so would she be called "spit to recessive" since she had no rings?
The albino wouldn't be split for recessive pied she would actually be a recessive pied as well as being an albino. That's why it's described as masking. If she was just split she would probably have iris rings. If her mutation is albino masking recessive pied, then if she was paired to a recessive pied that is not split for ino all the chicks would be recessive pieds

I havent bred from him... since i've lost a handful of birds this last year, I might breed some bugies this spring, i'll give him a shot. What type should i breed him with that the mom wouldn't affect the outcome?
He would have ino daughters no matter what he was paired with but it would be interesting to see if he has any lacewing daughters. The main thing is to know the breeding history of his mate so that if any other mutations appear you can tell where they have come from. My choice for his mate would be a normal hen that is split for several recessive mutations. That way if any dominant mutations appear, among his sons, they will have come from him and if any recessive mutations appear he must at least be split for them

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I am soooooo lost in this conversation. You bird is beautiful as they all are. I can only add that Lila is a mauve split to recessive pied(as evident by her babies) and has very dark rings you can barely see. That is her clue to what she was hiding. Tommy is a typical olive green with a small yellow patch on his head which was his clue. It is fun to see how they have something to hide. It would be cool to see the babies :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I didn't read all the posts (i know i should of ) but yes Lutinos do get iris rings

Sunny my lutino has iris rings and blood red eyes makes them look so evil

and i am pretty certain my Albino casper has them too I'll check tomorrow

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well now i know for sure little boy Wren is a lutino and my gal Lilo is hiding her recessivness LOL!!!

thanks guys :)

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
So if a albino has very faint markings does that make it a lacewing then?

·
Registered
236 Posts
actually if your albino hen is the one pictured with Wren.. I kinda DO see iris rings... is it just me or is that another hen...

Wren is definately lutino and a very pretty one... everything else has been said as to inos having rings...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.