Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Doesn't look like an Opaline to me. Just a normal green with a lot of colour in his wings. An Opaline's head markings would look like a Spangle's, and he would have almost no markings between his wings.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Looks like a normal split for opaline. Or an opaline bred normal. Sometimes normals bred from opalines can have some 'opalescence' even if they dont carry the opaline gene. This is why colour diffusion and flecking is blamed on opalines even in normal birds.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think he is a normal green showing a lot of opalescence. This does not necessarily mean that he is split for opaline although some breeders believe it does

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think he is a normal green showing a lot of opalescence. This does not necessarily mean that he is split for opaline although some breeders believe it does
The **** i named 'big blue' had some opalescence on his neck and shoulders, but was clearly not an opaline. His first clutch produced one opaline female so it proves he is split for opaline.

That being said, i also have a hen that has more opalescence on her neck and a bit on her shoulders, but is clearly not an opaline (and as you know cannot be split for opaline). So it can be correctly said that birds that are NOT opaline but show some opalescence can be split for it, or could be normals (which i suspect were BRED from opalines even if they arent opalines themselves).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.