Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to budgie-keeping -- haven't had my birds long at all -- but I've decided that I would like to breed Pippin, my male English budgie, and Echo, my female half-English in a year or so if things work out. They are starting to bond, and I can't help but wonder what their cute little babies would look like.

Pippin is an opaline cobalt, as far as I can tell (~1.5 years old), and Echo is albino (~4.5 - 5 months).

Is there any way to predict what sorts of babies they'd produce? Sorry if that's a stupid question; I admit that I've only done preliminary research on breeding at this point and know next to nothing about genetics.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I believe you would get sky blue and/or cobalt blue males split to opaline and ino, and sky blue and/or cobalt opaline females :)

G

·
Albinos are the most difficult mutation to predict its offsprings. Don't know what masking she has and also how many dark factors she has ?

Assuming the albino hen has no masking mutations and zero dark factor, then :

opaline cobalt **** x albino hen = 50% cobalt + 50% skyblue

Out of the above 100%, there will be 50% opaline females and 50% males split for ino

There may be surprised mutations not anticipated due to unknown ancestry of the parents of Pippin and Echo.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True -- it's impossible to say what hidden genes they both may carry. It's good to know what to expect, though, if the answer is none. I do kind of hope for an unexpected mutation, since it would be exciting, but I have no problem with all normal and opaline blues either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.