Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Yellow face part of the Genetic Calculator is the Only part I can't seem to figure out - I know I will not get 100% yellow face babies even though it always tells me I will lol

I was wondering about how many yellow faces I could expect from this pairing - That's if they even do anything

Aidan - Lutino male - doesn't seem to be hiding anything or Split to anything That we've discovered yet- and Doesn't seem to be split to blue I put him to an Albino hen and got 100% Lutino's ..

Kaylee
Yellow face Sky blue Opaline Grey wing Dominant Pied(she maybe both Dominant and Clear Flight pied - She had 1 of each with her parents) - no known splits (hoping to find out when they have babies lol) she is actually covered in yellow from Head to toe, her belly has no Blue color the only color is the little bit on her rump and a tiny amount around her neck - her belly is Pure creamy white - creamy white because of the yellow other wise she'd just be white on her belly lol

But ya I am just curious how many yellow faces I could Expect with this pairing - I love yellow faces so it's not really a big deal - Just has me curious

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I wouldnt have a clue atvchick. Usually with yellow faces i have breed come from a yellow face male with a grey hen i only got two yellow faces out them two one was grey with lemon face other a skyblue lemon face. good luck

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If your lutino male is not split for blue all the chicks will be green series

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but I am hoping he is split to blue - I am hoping he's one of those that like to hide things until put with just the right female :) Like I've had happen with Males split to opaline, cinnamon and even Ino - One male was split to opaline and Ino and had 4 different females before I found out

So Assuming he's split to blue - on the blue series would I expect them all to be blue - lets just say they have 5 babies first time and only 2 are green series could I expect the last 3 to be yellow faces?

if that made any sense and its all just Hypothetical Because i know the percents are based on 100 plus babies - just trying to get a feel of it -maybe it'll help me understand how the yellow face gene works a bit more

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'll make a wild guess until Nev comes back.

If lutino is split to blue, I think you'll get:
25% green split to blue
25% green split to YF blue
25% blue
25% YF blue

This assumes your hen is single factor YF.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There may be light at the end of my tunnel after all

Some how I came across this useful website - been reading so much on it now I can't even remember what I did a Google search on LOL

but A Green bird Can not be split to both Yellow face and Blue at the same time.
Where the confusion starts with Yellow Faces and Golden Faces is with the mode of inheritance. Some breeders still consider that it is possible for a Green Series Budgerigar to be split for both Yellow Face (or Golden Face) and Blue at the same time. If the multiple allelomorphic series is accepted (see The Genetics of the Green/Yellow Face/Blue Series) then it is impossible for a green to be split for both Yellow Face (or Golden Face) and Blue at the same time.
From here: (interesting reading by the way - at least for me I've read several of the pages :) - starting to understand how yellow face works a little better) - -
http://www.users.on.net/~abread/b_dom07.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.