Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share the latest events on my precious lovie Khaleesi. Before telling you what really happened, I will say that my boy is okay now.

I will try to sum this up as best as I can. On the night of September 17th, my 2 year old lovebird Khaleesi suffered a stroke, his left leg and left side were momentarily affected and 30 minutes later, he regained the full use of his leg.
Upon checking my boy, I noticed the motion and strength on his beak have been the most affected, his left eye has also gotten lazy and would close very often. I rushed him to the vet as fast as I could and on the first day, the vet wasn't very hopeful, still I was adamant to do all in my power to save my boy and this included daily vet visits for almost one week straight in order to build Khaleesi's strength faster.

Here he is the day after the stroke
003 by aluz391, on Flickr

My boy looked for the laptop's warmth and all he wanted to do was to sleep.
004 by aluz391, on Flickr

I cherished each and every moment as if it was the last. Here you can see my boy has dropped in weight.
014 by aluz391, on Flickr

For the first few days I had to feed him baby bird formula and would also encourage him to eat some egg food and seed. He wasn't able to crack open some seeds, so I had to do it for him and feed each seed to him by hand.
With each day that passed by, I noticed small improvements on Khaleesi's beak functions.
I also took advantage of his love for playing in order to build the coordination and strength on his beak. The first day after the stroke, he couldn't lift his beloved bottle caps nor his plastic coins. But soon after he regained better mobility on his beak and was again having fun tossing his bottle caps and plastic coins.

Khaleesi chirping lovingly to me as if to say, "I'm going to be okay momma, I will not leave your side"
015 by aluz391, on Flickr

With the medication, prayers, a lot of love and care, Khaleesi went back to his old very clever and playful self. I believe the deep trusting bond we have was vital for Khaleesi's miraculous recovery.
Here I had to hide his bottle caps on the closet because he wasn't accepting the food I was giving him, all he wanted was to play.
Khaleesi watched my every move and realized where his toys were hidden and wouldn't move till I retrieved the bottle caps.

I want my toys!
018 by aluz391, on Flickr

I won't move nor eat till I first play with my bottle caps.
019 by aluz391, on Flickr

And Khaleesi's wish was granted
021 by aluz391, on Flickr

To see him hold the bottle cap like that was a big win after all he went through
026 by aluz391, on Flickr

We all know the white bottle cap is going to be chucked onto the floor
027 by aluz391, on Flickr

Today Khaleesi is a whole lot better, fortunately he did not suffer another setback caused by another stroke and his beak functions continue to improve. While it's no longer necessary to supplement feed the formula, I'm still helping him with meals and breaking the most difficult seed and the physical therapy through playing with the toys continues. My boy has gained weight but I still want him to gain more, so I'm helping him out with that as well. Khaleesi's left eye is normal now, he just has a slight droopy eyelid now and it's barely noticeable. The feathers on his left side of the head aren't aligned and his left cheek is still a it odd, the feathers are a bit puffy on that location. So those are the visible side effects from this ordeal.

Here are a few videos I took on September 29th.
The first bath after his illness.

The "afterbath", just watch how he cleans himself.

And of course some cuddle time after having his feathers all dried up.

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,333 Posts
Khaleesi

I am so very glad your little one has come through so well. I know you were so worried. Well done on the nursing care and PT. Only you can see the traces left and I bet in time he will be good as new. Prayers of thanksgiving for your sweet little one. Jo:hug::hug::pray::pray::hug::hug: Ann

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
Ana,

Thank you for sharing Khaleesi's story and the struggles the two of you have been through recently with the forum members.

I truly believe that your love, strength and dedication are what gave Khaleesi the will to live, recover and continue his life with you.
I know the two of you are soulmates and it is so obvious in every picture and video that Khaleesi loves you just as much as you love him.

Reading your story, seeing your pictures and videos will hopefully help others who may face adversity with their own birds.

I know how hard this recovery process has been and I continue to pray for you and Khaleesi. :hug:

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,978 Posts
Awww, I'm so pleased that your boy had the strength and the care given to him to make an amazing recovery. I got tears in my eyes at the pictures of him wanting his bottle tops to play with. What a lovely story you've shared and I hope you two have lots of happy healthy memories together for years to come. xx

·
Super Moderator
19,681 Posts
Ana, you and Khaleesi obviously have been so close for so long it must have been terrible to have him suffer such a thing. I'm so glad he's feeling better now and I sincerely hope he's right as rain very soon. Mallorn and I send our best and I'm keeping your little ball of fun in my prayers tonight.

Both of you are such fighters :hug:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
On Ana! Thank goodness Khaleesi is alright! I can only imagine how scary it must have been for you! I'm so glad he continues to improve under your loving care and is back to his old self again! God bless you both! :hug: Give Khaleesi a kiss on top of his head from me! What a good little boy!

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
Very sorry to hear this little fellow has had these issues. I am glad to hear
this favorable report, keep loving him back to full health Ana...:hug:

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Ana, first, I'm so happy to hear that Khaleesi is okay and doing well :). How downright scary that had to have been for you. You are such an outstanding birdie mom, and your little boy is lucky to have you as his person. It was not only the meds that got him through, but the love and care that went into his recovery too. :hug:

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am so very glad your little one has come through so well. I know you were so worried. Well done on the nursing care and PT. Only you can see the traces left and I bet in time he will be good as new. Prayers of thanksgiving for your sweet little one. Jo:hug::hug::pray::pray::hug::hug: Ann
Thank you, Jo Ann. :hug: The first days were really difficult, fortunately the worse is over now and I got yet another lesson in love.
Despite some of my limitations, the love combined with the vet's help and my general experience with birds and the fact Khaleesi trusts me with his life played an important role in the recovery.
In all my years of pet bird ownership, Khaleesi was the first flock member to need rehabilitation through physical therapy, but this is not new to me as I have also rehabilitated some wild birds over the years.

Ana,

Thank you for sharing Khaleesi's story and the struggles the two of you have been through recently with the forum members.

I truly believe that your love, strength and dedication are what gave Khaleesi the will to live, recover and continue his life with you.
I know the two of you are soulmates and it is so obvious in every picture and video that Khaleesi loves you just as much as you love him.

Reading your story, seeing your pictures and videos will hopefully help others who may face adversity with their own birds.

I know how hard this recovery process has been and I continue to pray for you and Khaleesi. :hug:
Thank you so much for everything, Deborah. Your support and prayers have helped Khaleesi and I tremendously. :hug:

Oh dear, :( How scary that must have been. I am so glad to hear that he is doing better, thanks to your love and devotion to him. He obviously loves you very much too. :) Hopefully he won't suffer anymore strokes and this will all be an old memory.
Thank you, Bear. :) My wish is for Khaleesi to live a long and happy life.
Up until this event, he has always been perfectly healthy, so this came as big shock to me.

Awww, I'm so pleased that your boy had the strength and the care given to him to make an amazing recovery. I got tears in my eyes at the pictures of him wanting his bottle tops to play with. What a lovely story you've shared and I hope you two have lots of happy healthy memories together for years to come. xx
Thanks Emma. :) Each and every moment with Khaleesi is even more precious now and I do make the most of it and hopefully my buddy will stay with me for many years.

Hi Ana,
I'm so sorry that poor Khaleesi took I'll so suddenly and I'm so relieved to see that he is making a good recovery. What a brave little birdy he is and he is so lucky to have you as his carer.

Keep up the great recovery Khaleesi.
Thanks Niamh. Khaleesi has been a real trooper through all this and his strong will to stay with me also contributed to the speedy recovery. :)

On Ana! Thank goodness Khaleesi is alright! I can only imagine how scary it must have been for you! I'm so glad he continues to improve under your loving care and is back to his old self again! God bless you both! :hug: Give Khaleesi a kiss on top of his head from me! What a good little boy!
Thanks Diane. I sure am counting my blessings, the adversity managed to strengthen the bond I have with Khaleesi even more and I will for sure give him a little kiss on his head for you. :)

Very sorry to hear this little fellow has had these issues. I am glad to hear
this favorable report, keep loving him back to full health Ana...:hug:
Thanks, Randy and I will surely do that. :)

Thank goodness he is getting better! I can't imagine you without your sweet boy.
Thanks Moira. :) And that is exactly it, I cannot also imagine myself without Khaleesi, he is such a big part of my life.

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ana, you and Khaleesi obviously have been so close for so long it must have been terrible to have him suffer such a thing. I'm so glad he's feeling better now and I sincerely hope he's right as rain very soon. Mallorn and I send our best and I'm keeping your little ball of fun in my prayers tonight.

Both of you are such fighters :hug:
Thanks for your words and prayers, my friend. :hug:

Ana, first, I'm so happy to hear that Khaleesi is okay and doing well :). How downright scary that had to have been for you. You are such an outstanding birdie mom, and your little boy is lucky to have you as his person. It was not only the meds that got him through, but the love and care that went into his recovery too. :hug:
Thanks, Julie. :) I am much relieved now to see my lovie with his energy back and his motor skills improved. I'm now able to breathe more easily, that's for sure.

Outstanding. Well done, and may the recovery continue.
Thank you AnnMarie. :) I will do my very best to make sure he continues on the healing path.

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
Khal is that bright center of our universe whose playful spirit never falters and we're so glad he pulled though, Ana.:clap::hug:

·
21,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Poor little Khaleesi. So happy he is feeling better and enjoying his toys. He is a strong, happy fellow. Hopefully he has seen the last of his troubles. Hugs to you, Ana.
Thanks Susan and I hope so too. :hug:

He is such a beautiful little bird. So glad he is getting better. He must love you very much.
Thank you marya. Khaleesi sees me as his most important flock mate, he is a very special bird. :)

I'm so glad you started your post saying that he is ok now, it made it a bit easier to read knowing that the story has a happy ending. Blessings to you for a job well done and to Khalessi for being such a determined loving little guy.:happy4:
Thank you, Cody. :) I am aware Khaleesi is cherished by some members here at Talk Budgies and I tried to be sensible in the way to bring this news that may come as a shock.

Khal is that bright center of our universe whose playful spirit never falters and we're so glad he pulled though, Ana.:clap::hug:
Thanks Nick. Hopefully Khaleesi will continue to play for many happy years. :)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ana, just reading this. Oh, sweet Khaleesi. What a shock for you to have him suffer from a stroke.

I am so glad there are things to do to help him. He is too sweet to be ill.

Prayers and loving thoughts his way and yours for continued strength and recovery. :hug:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.