Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My budgie Kite (Female) has been acting like vomiting since 15 days. She normally would swallow the seeds back. I started giving her Probiotics (the one vet prescribed when other bird of mine had vomiting issue). She gets a bit dull when she does it but otherwise she is normal (active, playing, eating & no weight loss).

4 days back, I found her doing the vomiting act a lot and then she actually started shaking head to get rid of vomited seeds. Found another vet (the previous one went out of country) who asked me to give her Vinegar(2 drops) + Vomiting med (ondem syrup 1 drop) twice a day in water(~10ml) for 3 days. She was fine for these 3 days. But on 4th day (today) she started vomiting again. I have contacted the vet again, but I am yet to hear back from her.

Little worried about her health. Vet has good google reviews, but not sure if giving her ACV for so many days will get her into other issues like Stomach lining getting affected due to acidic drinking.

What could be the cause of her vomiting? I have made sure that there is no chewable thread or loose items in the cage (since my previous budgie had vomiting issue). She normally eats seeds, pellets (zupreem fruit blends) and calcium block & cuttle-fish bone. I also give her probiotics + proviboost in water as normal routine every 1-2 times a week since 6 month (which is when I got her).
Also her deworming was done at home a month ago.

Vet asked to continue Vinegar(1drop) + ondem (1drop) + 5ml water for next 10 days.
I hope she gets well馃

If there is anything else I should be doing please let me know. I will post update on her health

Super Moderator
She needs to be seen in person by a vet, there are many things that can cause vomiting but it is very common that a bacterial or fungal infection in the GI tract can cause it. A simple gram stain test on fresh droppings should reveal any bacteria, fungal or parasitic issues. By the time the bird is vomiting from an infection it has already progressed and needs treatment with proper medicine to be able to clear the infection, neither of the 2 things that you are giving will do that. These types of infection get worse if not treated correctly, please seek additional help. In this link there is a potion that will help you locate a vet in India Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I can not find avian vets in my state currently. Will ask the exiting vet to look into this case as well. Will contact few hospitals to enquire about gram stain test.
This is helpful. I hope all goes well.

Super Moderator
Try contacting one of these listed below and see if they can help you or refer you to someone, also if there is any place that cares for injured wildlife they may be able to help you.

Charity Birds Hospital
(Run by Prachin Shri Aggarwal Digambar Jain Panchayat, Delhi, Regd)
Shri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir Ji, Opposite Red Fort, Chandni Chowk, Delhi -110006.
Phone: 32909216.
(Contact Person - Shri Pankaj Jain, Superintendent)

Charitable Birds Hospital,
Shri Vijayanand Sureshwar Jain Sewa Trust,
H-48, Near Corporation Pump, Navin Shahdara, Delhi - 110032.
Phone: 22825088

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found another vet (who works for aviary, but is not avian expert on books). He seemed to know about birds.
@Cody thanks for the contact sharing. I will give them try for remote consultation if I do not see any improvement in their health.

He did physical examination, and took sample using crop flush to get it tested. He said that since the poop of bird looks fine, there is chance that she is having crop related issue.

He gave few medicines (antifungal and vomiting) for 3 days (by when we should be getting test result).
Recipe Font Material property Menu Event

Dog Carnivore Companion dog Font Toy

So far health and weight looks good for Kite

Super Moderator
Good that you got a diagnosis, Candida is fungal and the Itraconazole is an anti fungal med, the Metoclopramide will help with the vomiting and helps with slow crop motility, sometimes it can make a bird a bit hyper so watch for that. If you feed the bird fruit I would not feed it right now as it has too much sugar and you don't want that with a fungal infection.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Metoclopramide dose was only for 3 days. Have to keep bird with antifungal dose for next 3 weeks now.
Thanks for the information on fruit diet. I am not giving anything other than probiotic covered corriendar leafs & premature seeds or green seeds which i grow for them in pot, till she is under medication (vet recommendation).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.