Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Kiwi is an opaline spangle light green female. This means that the double factor spangle must be split for opaline. I don't see how you could get a dominant pied from this pair though because all of a double factor spangle's chicks would be spangle. Are you colony breeding?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the father is definitely the double factor spangle. Maybe the chick isn't a dominant pied, but that's what I thought she was. I'll post her pic and see what you think. I thought Kiwi was opaline. Thanks for confirming it.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Here is Sprite, the sibling of Kiwi. Do you think she's a dominant pied?
She is a dominant pied spangle. That means that her father must be a double factor spangle masking dominant pied and split for opaline. The dominant pied cannot be carried as split but it can be masked in inos and double factor spangles. He must be split for opaline because if the opaline was just masked like the pied all his daughters would show opaline.
Oh....isn't Kiwi a spangle/opaline?
No the / means split. She is not split. The opaline is visable so she is both mutations, an opaline spangle

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information, Nev. You confirmed what I thought. I didn't realize the meaning of the / symbol. Thanks, as always, for sharing your expertise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.