Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

In a month from today, Kuzco and I are flying from Nova Scotia, Canada to Alberta for a job. We will be there for about two months. He's flying in-cabin with me. We're flying with Westjet and they've been super nice and even told the pilot to bring him some millet. Kuzco hates being in the carrier, so I've been teaching him to get used to it by taking him on adventures in it (to the store, in the car, for hikes, etc.). He pretty much only likes it when he's outside in the fresh air, the rest of the time he sulks in his happy hut that I put in it, or tries to chew his way out :p

Our flight is about 7 hours direct. We have to be at the airport for 5:30am, so I'm hoping once I stuff him in the carrier, he'll just go back to sleep and not stress out too bad. I put some millet, his pellets, and some moist veggies in for him, but he tends not to eat when he's in it. I also give him his favourite chew toy and the happy hut. He gets stressed out by new cages, so I called all over Alberta ahead of time to track down the exact cage model that he's used to and I'm bringing all his toys from home.

What else can I do to make this trip easy for him and a positive experience? It will be his first time flying, his first time in a new house since I got him, and his first time away from his budgie friends. I have to travel a lot for work and my goal is to be able to take him with me if it doesn't stress him out terribly. Has anyone else flown with their birds? How was the experience? What would you do differently? How should I keep him settled?

· Registered
1,374 Posts
I'd like to know also, as I just got accepted into a university in Montreal for this September and currently live in Vancouver
I didn't know Westjet would let birds in the cabin! How much is it?

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought this one on Amazon, though they have them at Pet Valu (which I'm pretty sure is in the Vancouver area) for the same price. I took the fleece liner out, it just slides out. I didn't want any toes getting caught. There's a sturdy vinyl surface for them to stand on under it. Then, I cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the bottom, wrapped it in paper towel, voila, bird proof standing area haha. Will get pics.

http://petvalu.com/product/65471/comfort-carrier-bergan

· Administrator
60,914 Posts
Ariel,
It sounds like you are doing everything possible to get Kuzco used to his carrier and make his trip as stress-free as possible. I hope the trip goes smoothly and Kuzco decides he likes being a "frequent flyer" so you'll be able to take him on your business trips.

· Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
I have never actually been on a plane (let alone my birds), so I can't really offer advice on that. But I do hope you and Kuzco have a nice flight. You seem to have all the bases covered as far as making Kuzco as comfortable as possible.:)

I've taken my lovie Khaleesi quite a few times on the train with me, and we've travelled by other public transportation (mainly buses and inner city subway) and my Khaleesi is always a good trooper and behaves really well. No matter where we go, as long as I'm close to him, he will be just fine. He also adjusts very well to the change of environment (new house and new room).

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhhhh I wish my train allowed lovebirds! I love the train and it'd be a lot less stressful for Kuzco I think. But I live in Canada where we have one train company who doesn't allow birds. It's a **** shame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.