Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is dad- a normal cobalt, split to ino and opaline.

This is mum - yellow faced dominant pied. These two have produced albinos and creminos.

The next three pictures are some of their offspring - all with red/ruby eyes.
The first I initially thought was a female lacewing which I now believe to be a male fallow. I don't know much about fallows but because the long tail feather is a dark blue and it is male, I believe it cannot be a lacewing. Can anyone offer any help regarding the type of fallow and what this means re the parents genetics?

The next one, I believe is a is a white-faced female lacewing. Again can anyone offer any explanation re genetics? e.g. mum or dad carries cinnamon gene???

The last offspring is a yellow faced male lacewing. This I don't understand because I thought lacewing was a sex-linked mutation suggesting that the baby would need to be female. So how can this be?

Can anyone offer an explanation of how the mum and dad were able to produce these offspring?
What should it tell me about the genetics of the mum and dad and the offspring? Do I have the mutations of the babies correct or am I wrong?
Please help because I am intrigued

·
Registered
735 Posts
The first baby is definitely a fallow and not lacewing. Lacewings are typically pure white/yellow with light cinnamon markings. No body color on them what so ever.

In order for you to get a male lacewing chicks, the mother would need to be a lacewing herself and the father would need to be split lacewing.
To get female lacewing chicks, only the father would need to be split for lacewing.

The second babies markings and cheek patches are rather dark, leading me to believe that she is a sky(violet?) opaline fallow rather than a lacewing.

Baby number 3 looks to be some sort of pied YF fallow as I see a patch of color on the rump.

So I suspect, since fallow is not sex linked, that both mom and dad are split for it.

·
Member of the Month Sept 2015
1,093 Posts
Congratulations you got gorgeous German Fallows :)

1. Light Green (Male)
2. Sky Opaline (Female)
3. Yf-II Pied (not sure about the colour look at the rump you will get it)

Parents Mutations according to outcome is

Male is split to Ino, Oplaine & German Fallow

Female is split to German Fallow

All the Albino & Creamino produced by this pair should be females

·
Registered
197 Posts
Beautiful babies whatever they are :)

PS Can someone tell me why the white budgie is sky opaline ? I thought sky was bright blue.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
PS Can someone tell me why the white budgie is sky opaline ? I thought sky was bright blue.
I wish I could. Have you ever checked out cutelittlebirdies website ? Great mutation info there with pic's. Violet factored bird's don't alway's show color in the body, I have a DF Spangle boy that is violet factored, yet all white. You can see some light suffusion in him in some area's if you are real close to him. Interesting stuff...someday I hope to learn a lot more about it myself...:)

Gorgeous bird's jak...:)

Reactions: chirper

·
Member of the Month Sept 2015
1,093 Posts
Beautiful babies whatever they are :)

Hi SueMK No 1 is not a baby Ist moult complete, Iris ring clear and cere colour of mature male (in fallows it is greyish brown)

Due to Albinism in Fallows most of the body colour is washed out

Rump is the place where the maximum colour is shown

here is one of my German Fallow pair Sky and Olive for you to see sky :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wish I could. Have you ever checked out cutelittlebirdies website ? Great mutation info there with pic's. Violet factored bird's don't alway's show color in the body, I have a DF Spangle boy that is violet factored, yet all white. You can see some light suffusion in him in some area's if you are real close to him. Interesting stuff...someday I hope to learn a lot more about it myself...:)

Gorgeous bird's jak...:)
Yes I have, fascinating info if somewhat confusing ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your discussion and Reese and Chirper for their expert opinions.

So it appears that I have 3 german fallows

1. Male - Light Green fallow
2. Female - Sky (violet?) opaline fallow
3. Male - Yf2 pied fallow.

The one I still finds most confusing is 2. There is only cinnamon on the wings not the rump or the body. How would this bird differ in colour to a cinnamon fallow?

Given the cinnamon colouring on all three birds, and the apparent lack of visual cinnamon colouring on parents, does this mean the male dad is split to cinnamon as it is a sex-linked gene?

As dad is definitely split to ino, and may also be split to cinnamon, is it possible that since the cinnamon and ino have so far presented separately in the offspring, that they will not at some stage present together (i.e. dad will not produce a female lacewing)?

·
Registered
735 Posts
German fallows naturally have brown cinnamon markings. :) It's one of the distinguishing traits of a fallow, so it doesn't necessarily mean your male is split cinnamon. The reason why I say Baby number 2 is a Sky violet Opaline fallow is because she looks near identical to the last one listed here. :giggle:

Fallow Budgies - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

It's also possible that Baby 2 is a minimally marked pied and it's just hard to tell due to her beautiful fallow coloration. Does she have a pied patch on the back of her head?

If your male is split ino and cinnamon, it is possible for you to get female lacewings but it is a very small 3% chance of the genes crossing to successfully produce one.

Lacewing And Fallow - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again Reese - you have clarified a lot of aspects and I have so much to learn.

In regard to baby No.2, there is no obvious pied patch on the back of her head at this point.

Also the male dad cobalt normal was the offspring of a violet(visual) opaline mum. Is this possibly where baby no.2 violet mutation may have come from(even though they look nothing like each other)?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Your male looks like a violet cobalt normal to me, so that's probably where Baby2 got violet from. :) Violet can only exist in visual form, since it is a dominant trait it can't be hidden in split form. So he probably got the violet (and opaline) from his momma and then passed it onto his daughter.

·
Mentoring Award March 2015
616 Posts
I always admired genetics, especially when out of two non red eyes birdies you can get one or two or even three red eyed once!
Just want to put my 5c in this convo, all babies look cinnamon to me, meaning the father is so "guilty" ;)
Gorgeous fallows and very well done paired parents!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi Jak what is the age of pied fallow :)
Hi Chirper - the pied fallow(no.3) was born Jan this year and was about 8 weeks old in the photo.

Just to clarify - no.1 was from a clutch of 8 last year
1 female albino
3 female creaminos
I female sky blue opaline
1 male Yf2 dominant pied
2 male (what I now believe to be fallows) - no.1 shown and another similar in colour to no.3(which was sold)

The other 2 babies were from a recent clutch of 6: -
2 female albinos
1 male and 1 female Yf2 dominant pied
No.2 female fallow
No.3 male fallow

Yes Slav - it really is quite incredible. These two have produced some amazing babies complete with gorgeous playful personalities. Dad is semi-tame and mum is a real stunner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SO true - I have been so lucky with these beautiful birds "Splotch" (dad) and "Wild"(mum)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.