Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
Not to disappoint other budgie owners, but I have the cutest, sweetest little bird in the world!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as LoVey exits her cage she flies over to me and lands on top of my head. As I've mentioned here before, she has a very strong personality, and is adventurous and a bit sassy. I was wondering if this behavior might be an indication of her trying to establish herself as the dominant member of our two member flock, or could she just see my head as an easy landing strip? She really seems to enjoy being close to me and will often sit on my shoulder and gaze at me lovingly. I always move her immediately, hold her at chin level and chat with her. She has never objected to my moving her. The only things she becomes opinionated about is if I remove her from something I don't want her playing with or when I get near her food dishes (she is very possessive about her food). Considering there may be a time when I have to give her meds etc, I want her to know she needs to cooperate with me. The other reason I move her is because I don't want to want to walk around with bird poop on my head lol. Does what I've described regarding her behavior and my responses sound correct? She has remained sweet and affectionate and although I don't want to break her spirit, I want to maintain a relationship in which I'm prepared for things that may come up. When I correct her, I use a firm tone of voice, but never, ever yell at her. I do have one other question that has to do with mutation that I'll ask in the appropriate category. Thank you in advance for any thoughts you might have.

· Registered
488 Posts
I've always assumed it's because my head is 1) an easy landing area and 2) the least non-threatening location on my person. When my girls land on my head, they don't have any vision restrictions, they get a panoramic view of the entire room from the soft and plushy landing pad that is my hair. They also like to pick through my hair with their beaks. I've noticed it is their go-to spot when they are stressed, scared or nervous. Most of the time they'll prefer landing on my arms, shoulders or hands. Head landing zone is only if they're scared or if they're flying in from a height and coming down to me.

When they land on my shoulder, half the room gets obstructed from their view, and they have my big old eyes and nose and mouth right near their face, which might be the last thing they want when they're a tad panicked.

I don't think it's a dominance thing at all. When my two want to be domineering, they get on my shoulder and make angry robot noises and their eyes pin like crazy, before the inevitable strong bite they give me. I'm close enough to them to realise when they're about to go killer t-rex mode so I usually firmly tell them no and they chill out. Sometimes Chick will enter a crazy violence spiral and a firm no won't put her off being in attack mode, so I'll just get her to step up and move her away til she calms down.

How come you move her immediately to chin level when she lands on your shoulder? Or did you mean you move her immediately off of your head?

· Premium Member
Not to disappoint other budgie owners, but I have the cutest, sweetest little bird in the world!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always assumed it's because my head is 1) an easy landing area and 2) the least non-threatening location on my person. When my girls land on my head, they don't have any vision restrictions, they get a panoramic view of the entire room from the soft and plushy landing pad that is my hair. They also like to pick through my hair with their beaks. I've noticed it is their go-to spot when they are stressed, scared or nervous. Most of the time they'll prefer landing on my arms, shoulders or hands. Head landing zone is only if they're scared or if they're flying in from a height and coming down to me.

When they land on my shoulder, half the room gets obstructed from their view, and they have my big old eyes and nose and mouth right near their face, which might be the last thing they want when they're a tad panicked.

I don't think it's a dominance thing at all. When my two want to be domineering, they get on my shoulder and make angry robot noises and their eyes pin like crazy, before the inevitable strong bite they give me. I'm close enough to them to realise when they're about to go killer t-rex mode so I usually firmly tell them no and they chill out. Sometimes Chick will enter a crazy violence spiral and a firm no won't put her off being in attack mode, so I'll just get her to step up and move her away til she calms down.

How come you move her immediately to chin level when she lands on your shoulder? Or did you mean you move her immediately off of your head?
I move her off my head immediately so she doesn't have a chance to poop in my hair. At least I'll keep doing it until budgie poop on the head becomes fashionable lol. I bring her to chin level because it's a nice position to have a lovely girly gab session. I wondered about the dominant behavior thing because I read somewhere (don't remember where) that is a way they try to become the top bird. I too, know, most of the time when her owner t-rex will come out. When she does do something that she knows she's not supposed to, she gives me a "take that mama" look. I feel like the top of my head it just a quick easy landing spot, but thought it would be worth hearing the experiences and thoughts of others. I think she really does love me, and likes me within sight. The very few people that do enter my room don't get the same reaction from her. When I exit the room she flock calls until I return. She never does it with anyone else. I feel so grateful to have such a sweet affectionate litter girl to share my life with 💞!

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
A couple of my budgies land on my head frequently.
I just let them sit there as long as they want to. None of them stay there for very long and, so far, none of them have pooped on my head while sitting on it.
I will say I've been hit with poop when they are doing rapid fly bys around the room though. LOL

· Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of my budgies land on my head frequently.
I just let them sit there as long as they want to. None of them stay there for very long and, so far, none of them have pooped on my head while sitting on it.
I will say I've been hit with poop when they are doing rapid fly bys around the room though. LOL
I have found the occasional poop on my head after she's been sitting there. A couple times right before I was headed to work, so I'm glad I checked lol. She's also gotten me during her lightning fast fly byes. She could give Maverick and Goose a few pointers on hitting a target 🤣 🛩!

· Registered
10 Posts
I don't think I get pooped on now-do you think once they are tame enough they realise not to poop on their friends head :LOL: I always notice now that as soon as my budgie lands elsewhere from my head he does a poop, so I wondered if that was a thing, that they don't want to do it on your head because it's disrespectful and they view your hair as they would another birds feathers. Of course I'm sure accidents still happen!

· Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I get pooped on now-do you think once they are tame enough they realise not to poop on their friends head :LOL: I always notice now that as soon as my budgie lands elsewhere from my head he does a poop, so I wondered if that was a thing, that they don't want to do it on your head because it's disrespectful and they view your hair as they would another birds feathers. Of course I'm sure accidents still happen!
LoVey and I are very closely bonded. She literally can't get closer to me. I'm pretty sure she'd find a way to climb under my skin if it ment getting closer to her mama 🥰. I think that since she can't drive a vehicle and has no credit or debit card, the only thing she has to gift me with is a cute little poop lol.

· Registered
12 Posts
My budgie does this frequently, and we allow it. A lot of heat escapes from the human body through the head, so it’s quite warm for him. In regards to them pooping in your hair;

It washes out incredibly easy. I’ve never had any issues and once warm water from the shower is introduced, it comes out very quickly, even when dried. I do have quite short hair (about two inches, decently wavy) and dependant on your hair type it might not be so easy to wash out. I’d imagine dreadlocks might be difficult to get it out of? But I haven’t talked to anyone who has them in regards to such a situation, so I don’t know.

He likes being up there on my head because its a good perch and is high up. He knows he’s safe there.

TL;DR In my experience, very normal, comes out easily.

· Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I'm not afraid of a little poop lol. I just like to make sure I'm not going to work with a birdy turdie on my head. I work in a grocery store and I'm sure the customers prefer it not drop onto their broccoli haha.

· Registered
12 Posts
Oh I'm not afraid of a little poop lol. I just like to make sure I'm not going to work with a birdy turdie on my head. I work in a grocery store and I'm sure the customers prefer it not drop onto their broccoli haha.
Washing your hair in the sink before leaving should keep it out—depending on how long your hair is. If you’re worried about missing some and getting it somewhere while at work, I suggest wearing some kind of beanie or tuque, if you’re able to. You can tuck you hair into it and that will ensure it doesn’t go anywhere

· Registered
10 Posts
LoVey and I are very closely bonded. She literally can't get closer to me. I'm pretty sure she'd find a way to climb under my skin if it ment getting closer to her mama 🥰. I think that since she can't drive a vehicle and has no credit or debit card, the only thing she has to gift me with is a cute little poop lol.
Aw it's lovely when they are bonded. Mine can sit on my shoulder all evening and he definitely poops then but luckily it usually goes on the chair which is easy to wipe up. To be fair he doesn't spend very long on my head these days, usually it's more like a stepping stone onto the computer monitor :ROFLMAO: so that's probably why. I understand why you don't want to risk it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts