Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Our female budgie Yoyo has been ill for some time (I have made forum posts about this on 25th May and 9th June). Over the past few days (I only became aware of this yesterday), her condition has taken a turn for the worse and she now looks very sick and distressed. Here is how she looked this morning. The squatting motion you see happens several times every minute.

I know she needs to see a vet urgently, but my problem is that we don't have any local avian vets and we lack transport. We are in the Wolverhampton, U.K. area and our best option seems to be Manor Vets.

My problem is that the rest of my family isn't interested in getting her the support she needs (mainly for financial reasons). Instead, they are extremely keen to have her put down at a local vet, despite me suggesting to share the cost of seeing a vet between us.

I have spent most of last night and this morning trying to find alternative options, e.g. reaching out to the Parrot Society for advice and contacting a charity. While I'm waiting to hear back, I wanted to make this post just to see if anyone could suggest anything I haven't thought of.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
Your link to Manor Vets indicates that they do see birds so that seems to be your best option, can you get there? Your bird looks to have multiple issues, her eyes seem to be still infected by something, whatever treatment you were giving is not working, is Manor Vets where she was previously seen? The squatting motion is an indication of some discomfort and could be caused by a number of things. The bird is suffering and needs medical attention which you already know. Explain to your family that all creatures deserve proper medical attention, it costs to put an animal down, why not put that cost towards treatment instead. Are there any shelters in your area that might be able to offer some help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your link to Manor Vets indicates that they do see birds so that seems to be your best option, can you get there? Your bird looks to have multiple issues, her eyes seem to be still infected by something, whatever treatment you were giving is not working, is Manor Vets where she was previously seen? The squatting motion is an indication of some discomfort and could be caused by a number of things. The bird is suffering and needs medical attention which you already know. Explain to your family that all creatures deserve proper medical attention, it costs to put an animal down, why not put that cost towards treatment instead. Are there any shelters in your area that might be able to offer some help?
Thank you for the reply. I am doing everything I can. I have just had a retired avian vet phone my family to discuss options and offer suggestions. Although one of the suggestions was to find out what is wrong before making a decision about euthanasia, it doesn't seem to have done much good in terms of convincing them to give Yoyo the opportunity to be seen by an avian vet.

Yoyo hasn't been seen by Manor Vets. We used a local vet which doesn't specialise in birds, and specifically recommended we find a different vet once the medicine they provided proved ineffective.

I think we could get to Manor Vets, although my family disagrees, mostly for financial reasons (£40 round trip). They also suggest that the journey will be stressful, and my attempts at arguing that going by taxi would be quieter and warmer compared to taking Yoyo to the local vets via bicycle (unfortunately that has actually happened more than once) have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm really starting to think I am fighting a losing battle - even while speaking to an avian vet, rather than discussing diagnosis and treatment plans, my family were more interested in how exactly they would euthanise Yoyo.

I'm not sure if there are any local shelters, my location is Penn Fields Wolverhampton, I will try to find time to look but I'm trying to balance talking with my family, vets, finding financial support, etc.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
Are you able to reach out to a friend that might be able to help instead of family members? Did the retired vet see the video of your bird, maybe he could give some suggestions for some treatment options, ultimately a physical exam is needed but maybe if any improvement can be gained in the bird's condition your family would be more open to further treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you able to reach out to a friend that might be able to help instead of family members? Did the retired vet see the video of your bird, maybe he could give some suggestions for some treatment options, ultimately a physical exam is needed but maybe if any improvement can be gained in the bird's condition your family would be more open to further treatment.
Sadly no, I don't know anyone who could help. The retired vet saw everything I have shared in this post and his assessment was that Yoyo may be suffering from a chronic sinus infection and either difficulty passing droppings due to a hard crust forming or an internal abdominal problem.

In addition to a visual inspection for crust, he suggested that Tylosin (or failing that tetracycline group or neomycin) may be helpful. I later learned Tylosin is prescription only, which is difficult since it would probably require a vet visit.

His final conclusion was that it is probably too early to start asking for euthanasia until we have a better understanding of what is wrong. This seems very reasonable but unfortunately, my family isn't very interested, in fact, while I was talking to him, I headed Yoyo being booked into the local vet "with euthanasia as the preferred option".

It is really very sad since it seems quite possible at this stage that this could be something she could recover from if only she was able to see a vet. I'm really not sure what else I can do at this point.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
Tylosin a/k/a Tylan comes in a powder form that can be added to water. Before euthanizing ask the local vet if they can give you a prescription of it to try on Yoyo. Ask them if they can consult with an avian vet for treatment rather than euthanasia. If there are any wildlife rehab facilities they may also be able to help, although Yoyo is not wildlife, they may have a suggestion or resource for meds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Tylosin a/k/a Tylan comes in a
Tylosin a/k/a Tylan comes in a powder form that can be added to water. Before euthanizing ask the local vet if they can give you a prescription of it to try on Yoyo. Ask them if they can consult with an avian vet for treatment rather than euthanasia. If there are any wildlife rehab facilities they may also be able to help, although Yoyo is not wildlife, they may have a suggestion or resource for meds.
I am sending you a message about this. It's not advice but it is an option on the prescriptions mentioned above. See what you think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Jacke, with all due respect, this poor bird has been suffering for months and since your parents don't care to help, just take her to a local vet to be put down. At least she'll be out of her misery, because what kind of existence is she currently living. It's honestly heartbreaking, but it's what I'd do if my parents weren't interested in helping.

She's already had to suffer through these past few months, I don't know why there's a need to make her unnecessarily suffer through more in what appears to be a completely pointless endeavour. You're not able to take her to an avian vet. Your best bet is trial and error, but you're already months past the time where that was the course of action you should have taken. She's now deteriorated to the point where putting her through more pain by trial and erroring medicine is just inhumane.

I don't know how your parents are able to walk past her each day and not think to try and help. Take her to an animal shelter, contact the RSPCA, find a local avian rescue group. If I lived in the UK, I would be down in a heartbeat to save that poor little thing.

I'd offer to pay, but I feel like it's not going to help. Whatever she has may have been passed on to her cage mates. What if they get sick? What if she gets an illness in the future? I would love to help her, it makes me extremely sad not to, but I can't in good conscience help nurse her back to health if the environment she is in isn't somewhere she will be looked after, and I don't want to subject her to potential months of more suffering in the future if she were ever to get ill again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jacke, with all due respect, this poor bird has been suffering for months and since your parents don't care to help, just take her to a local vet to be put down. At least she'll be out of her misery, because what kind of existence is she currently living. It's honestly heartbreaking, but it's what I'd do if my parents weren't interested in helping.

She's already had to suffer through these past few months, I don't know why there's a need to make her unnecessarily suffer through more in what appears to be a completely pointless endeavour. You're not able to take her to an avian vet. Your best bet is trial and error, but you're already months past the time where that was the course of action you should have taken. She's now deteriorated to the point where putting her through more pain by trial and erroring medicine is just inhumane.

I don't know how your parents are able to walk past her each day and not think to try and help. Take her to an animal shelter, contact the RSPCA, find a local avian rescue group. If I lived in the UK, I would be down in a heartbeat to save that poor little thing.

I'd offer to pay, but I feel like it's not going to help. Whatever she has may have been passed on to her cage mates. What if they get sick? What if she gets an illness in the future? I would love to help her, it makes me extremely sad not to, but I can't in good conscience help nurse her back to health if the environment she is in isn't somewhere she will be looked after, and I don't want to subject her to potential months of more suffering in the future if she were ever to get ill again.
Unfortunately, your point about her not being well looked after is true. Some time ago we had a canary named Robbie who fell ill. After doing research, I realised he might have had air sac mites, which require immediate treatment. After explaining this, treatment was delayed and delayed until it was too late. Apparently that was fine, because he was the runt of the litter and wouldn't have lived long anyway (meaning he wasn't entitled to medical care) - at least that was the attitude of my family. After that, I was trying my best to make sure we didn't get any more pets, but somehow yet again I find myself in such a similar situation. Some people never seem to learn.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,576 Posts
Is there any way that you can find a bird rescue nearby and ask for their advice? While the above is true and it doesn't seem like her quality of life is going to ever improve in any way it's not fair that she never lives a good life simply because of her current situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Call these rescues and see if any of them would be willing to take your birds in. I think it's probably for the best you give all your birds up. If your parents keep neglecting animals, you should honestly tell them that if the RSPCA found out, they'd land in hot water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any way that you can find a bird rescue nearby and ask for their advice? While the above is true and it doesn't seem like her quality of life is going to ever improve in any way it's not fair that she never lives a good life simply because of her current situation.
Call these rescues and see if any of them would be willing to take your birds in. I think it's probably for the best you give all your birds up. If your parents keep neglecting animals, you should honestly tell them that if the RSPCA found out, they'd land in hot water.
Thank you for the advice. They have just left for the local vet that doesn't specialise in birds, but I did give my mother a printout of what the retired avian vet observed, along with his contact details. I suspect that she will push hard for euthanasia over treatment, so I have tasked the vet to call me if this option is being considered, so I can verify directly with the vet that my mother has actually provided them with the information. Fingers crossed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please update with the current status of this situation. 💜
Unfortunately, it is very sad news, Yoyo was put down on the 5th of August. She was taken to the local vet who doesn't specialise in birds, and despite providing all the observations from the avian vet I spoke to, they thought it was best to put her down.

We ended up showing our other budgie Pogo her body. At first, he seemed scared, but eventually, he gave her body a gentle peck. I've been thinking of ways we might be able to better help Pogo when he gets ill so we don't have another repeat of this. Maybe I should also do some research so I can spot whether he becomes depressed etc.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,576 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Yoyo. She deserved better in life from your family but you did the best you could for her 💜

Meanwhile, I would start to consider if you should keep Pogo at all. He must be grieving right now and will need time to heal, but do you think that you can care for him properly under the limitations your family has set? Will he simply be put down if he gets sick too, if they deny him vet care until it is too late?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top